Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: What if passing the football was on the R Stick
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhat if passing the football was on the R Stick

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MVP
MVP

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What if passing the football was on the R Stick
    Posted: 08-21-2008 at 7:24pm
With all the controls moving to use that stick what about throwing the football?  I was thinking about this after reading the Backbreaker post. 

You could wind up much like a golf swing and slam the stick forward for a bullet or ease it forward to lob it in there.  While flood plays could prove difficult to implement, I think generally you could push the stick in the direction of the intended receiver.  Then QB rating could come into play.  You could be off with a guy like Peyton and still be well on target, or you could take a very low accuracy QB and have to be almost perfect in the throwing line to hit him.

Or what if they started pre-programming a QB checking off his receivers and you saw a highlight over the receiver that he was looking at.  Then the better QB's would be checking off quicker and more efficiently while the average or below average would struggle.

Just some thoughts...what do you think?
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-21-2008 at 7:30pm
NFL Fever 2004 used the Right thumbstick (it was called read and lead)  a little different then what you are talking about but it was kinda fun, yet pretty hard.  The trigger option gave you the ability to affect trajectory (standalone/button or with the R-Stick)

Here was an explanation of read and lead and there was a standard one button and trigger based passing option.

• Trigger-Passing: Trigger passing is supposed to be a better version of One-Button passing that allows you to have a wider range of control over the amount of lob or lack of lob while passing the ball. Since the triggers have a broader range of movement than the buttons, the triggers enable you to have more sensitivity than the range of motion of depressing the buttons. In theory this sounds like a nice idea, but the fact of the matter is that Trigger-Passing requires an extra step in the passing scheme that you might not have time to pull off in the heat of the action. Before utilizing the more sensitive trigger, you must first select the receiver you wish to pass to using the corresponding buttons. Then once you have selected your desired receiver, you control the passing trajectory by the amount you pull on the trigger. Sounds good, but while the defense is closing in on the pocket, that extra step might become the difference between hitting a wide open receiver for a big gain and losing yardage due to a debilitating sack.

• Read & Lead: This passing mode is the most advanced and will require more skill and timing from the players than the other modes of passing. Run & Lead takes the Trigger-Passing mode and adds the ability to control where in relation to the passing route you wish to deliver the ball. After selecting the desired receiver, a target circle will appear around that receiver. You then use the right analog stick to control the movement of this target. This gives you as the quarterback the versatility to alter the passing route by determining where the ball will be thrown. If you want to give the receiver a lot of lead, you can move the circle far ahead of them on their route, allowing them to catch up to the ball and hopefully break free of the defender. You could also move the circle to either side or pull the circle back from the receiver in the hopes of forcing a receiver in tight coverage to break free. To deliver the ball you then use the trigger, as you would in Trigger-Passing. Ideally, more skilled players will enjoy this mode because it gives them more flexibility at reading the defense and making adjustments on the fly, but most may find this mode too much handwork in a limited amount of time. For the hardest of the hardcore, Read & Lead is the mode to nail down, but for the average player, One-Button passing gets the job done sufficiently.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-21-2008 at 7:31pm
I remember read and lead and it was hard.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-21-2008 at 7:38pm
I like the evolution of the right-stick in sports games and think that right-stick throwing would be interesting. The problem, like you mentioned, is determining which receiver the ball should be thrown to. How would you control the direction the QB looks in your example since the right-stick would be needed to throw the ball? I'd hate to go back to the old days of hitting a button to cycle through your receivers - as a matter of fact, I think Madden's greatest innovation was icon passing.

What about letting the angle and how far you wind up determine the distance and area the ball goes and whatever receiver (or defender) that was closest to the ball would go for it?
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-21-2008 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by TedSGN

I remember read and lead and it was hard.

Read and Lead was one of the best innovations in a football game, IMO.  I still have fever, and while it had other problems, I really, really enjoyed the game.
Slumberland View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-21-2008 at 10:26pm
I loved read & lead... I could just play the training mini-game over and over and over...
 Post Reply Post Reply