Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

    Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: 01010111 01000101 00111001 00001101 00001010
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked01010111 01000101 00111001 00001101 00001010

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message / View Unread Post
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend
Avatar

Joined: 01-26-2006
Location: Texas
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 6677
Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 01010111 01000101 00111001 00001101 00001010
    Posted: 03-06-2006 at 1:21pm
Yea I know odd title but you are here and it made you look.

Yet another Winning Eleven 9 thread for the binary challenged. The game was just giving me fits with 0-0 draws on 3 stars with the rare goal here and there. Hence the binary reference to WE9 (har har you get it now). I have done some research on the PES sites and it seems to be a common issue for the intermediate players that the 3 star level is giving people fits, especially in ML. Well I took some advice from a few folks and have to throw out that if you are having trouble scoring and/or the CPU scoring bump that bad boy up to 4 stars. It seems in 3 stars the CPU's goal is to play for a scoreless draw and playing defensive unless you score a goal. Yet on 4 stars teams will attack you off the get-go and have more long thru passes, which in turn leaves the open to counter attacks and more gaps. The CPU might score a bit more often but holes are left open to get more scoring opporitunities for yourself. I deleted my ML and so far in exhibition games have been seeing quite a few 2-1, 3-2 games.

Just a heads up for those struggling on 3 star. Of course I think if I would quit abusing the sprint button it would be almost as adventageous.


Edit: Konami should also just get rid of one star.  Make 2 stars the easiest level of the game, then create something between 2 and 3 stars where you can still run with a dirbble and sprint as fast as the CPU without the pressure you see from 3* and up.

I think by making 3 star the default setting they lose many novices to the challenge. Once you get the hang of it 2 stars is simply to easy and you get torn between wanting to score and playing a tougher level at that point. make the 2.5 the default level.

Another addition off the top of my head is put a SKIPPABLE tutorial at the beginning answering the most common questions for the novice to WE/PES. You know stuff like:

* Here is why most of your shots are sailing over the crossbar and this is how we implement shooting in the game.

* This is what all those arrows and stamina bars mean.

* This is a list of all colleges available so you will one day be clever enough to figure out how to navigate our menus.

** A Masters degree will be required to copy data from an Action Replay to your hard drive.

(last two are sort of in jest but you see the same questions asked over and over)

If Konami wants to grow in the US, they need to cater to the less knowledgable soccer fans. yes SOME of this is in the manual but Konami fails to realize just how lazy the American is when it comes to reading them. Or they don't really care.




Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
Back to Top
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar
Administrator

Joined: 01-25-2006
Location: New Jersey
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 6699
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-06-2006 at 1:24pm
Seeing as I only play on 1 Star, I don't have that problem . Good find though.
Back to Top
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend
Avatar

Joined: 01-26-2006
Location: Texas
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 6677
Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-06-2006 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Jason

Seeing as I only play on 1 Star, I don't have that problem . Good find though.


You are kidding right? See my edit above though as it implies to people like us.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
Back to Top
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar
Administrator

Joined: 01-25-2006
Location: New Jersey
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 6699
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-06-2006 at 1:41pm

Actually, the few offline games that I've played have been on 1 star. To be fair though, I've only played online games lately.

You're binary code made forced me to remember things that I thought I had forgotten (from my old Assembly coding days). For those that aren't familair with binary code, I added a link to a binary converter: Binary Converter

Back to Top
Zeppo View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie


Joined: 01-26-2006
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 136
Post Options Post Options   Quote Zeppo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-06-2006 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by Brent


If Konami wants to grow in the US, they need to cater to the less knowledgable soccer fans. yes SOME of this is in the manual but Konami fails to realize just how lazy the American is when it comes to reading them. Or they don't really care.


Shhhh.  Don't complain too loudly, or you'll end up reminding Konami that they actually do release this title in North America.  I don't want to go back to the days when it was only released in Asia and Europe.

It is a Japanese title; all they expect for you to understand the menus and training aids is. . . to be Japanese, apparently.

I think most people's inability to score in 3* is due to not knowing how to score.  The CPU defends well, this is true.  The CPU is not very good at scoring on 3*.  But if you are shutting the CPU out easily enough on 3* for you to have no fear of the CPU scoring on you, than you need to step up.  Playing at a harder difficulty will wean you off of the crutches you use unkowingly, and force you to open up your game and become more creative and decisive in the scoring area.

One of the biggest struggles I have in WE is using the entire field.  It is hard, even in the Wide camera, to see enough of the field.  There are often open spaces all over the far side of the field, and a long diagonal ball can really open things up. If you can get that long diagonal ball going, you'll start to find a lot of situations where the defense is not all crammed in the box, and a quick attack can take advantage of that.

Another thing to do is use the early crosses and lofted through balls early and often, from all over the field.  The more you use these, the more you will find those sweet spots and situations where they work best.

I refuse to believe in any kind of speed cheats or 'comeback AI' or any of that stuff that seems to be the regular cry of woe with a new WE release.  I just don't see any of these unfair things in the game.  And I still think 4* is the 'regular' difficulty level, with 5* adding in a lot of over-agressive defensive pressure, but not any kind of attribute boosts or speed boosts or anything.

YMMV.
Back to Top
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar
Administrator

Joined: 01-25-2006
Location: New Jersey
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 6699
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-06-2006 at 2:06pm

Brent,

01110100 01101001 01100111 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01101111 01101111 01100100 01110011 00100000 01110010 01110101 01101100 01111010

Back to Top
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend
Avatar

Joined: 01-26-2006
Location: Texas
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 6677
Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-06-2006 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Jason

Brent,

01110100 01101001 01100111 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01101111 01101111 01100100 01110011 00100000 01110010 01110101 01101100 01111010



01000100 01101001 01110110 01101111 01110100 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 01110010 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101001 01100111 01100101 01110010 00100000 01010111 01101111 01101111 01100100 01110011 00100000 01000010 01101001 01110100 01100011 01101000 00100000 01011001 01001111

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
Back to Top
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar
Administrator

Joined: 01-25-2006
Location: New Jersey
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 6699
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-06-2006 at 2:15pm

Alright, I think that's enough geekiness for one day .

Back to Top
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend
Avatar

Joined: 01-26-2006
Location: Texas
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 6677
Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-06-2006 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Zeppo

 

Shhhh.  Don't complain too loudly, or you'll end up reminding Konami that they actually do release this title in North America.  I don't want to go back to the days when it was only released in Asia and Europe.


Yep especially when I would never mod any of my consoles just to play an import. I would rather go back to Fifa then go that route. Fortuantely WE looks to be here to stay, I just wish they would at least pretend like they cared about increasing sales outside of Europe and Japan.

Originally posted by Zeppo

 
It is a Japanese title; all they expect for you to understand the menus and training aids is. . . to be Japanese, apparently.


They could at least meet us half way and put it in Engrish.


Originally posted by Zeppo

 
I think most people's inability to score in 3* is due to not knowing how to score.  The CPU defends well, this is true.  The CPU is not very good at scoring on 3*.  But if you are shutting the CPU out easily enough on 3* for you to have no fear of the CPU scoring on you, than you need to step up.  Playing at a harder difficulty will wean you off of the crutches you use unkowingly, and force you to open up your game and become more creative and decisive in the scoring area.


I agree and I think alot of that stems from not using some of the advanced controls for passing and shooting. I tend to get set in my ways with the standard buttons and simple passes and shots. I rarely use the lob over the goalie because my brain is not quick enough to remember to hit the L Trigger. I applaud them for giving button customization but no matter how you slice it the black button IMO is needed to be a very successful WE player. I can't switch it because it would force me into removing the through pass (Y) or (L-Trigger which I use for manual switching). Unfortuantely the Xbox controller is not setup for optimum play, at least not for me. Especially for the super cancel. Come on Konami I am on MANUAL control, let me MANUALY control the darn guy.

Originally posted by Zeppo

 
One of the biggest struggles I have in WE is using the entire field.  It is hard, even in the Wide camera, to see enough of the field.  There are often open spaces all over the far side of the field, and a long diagonal ball can really open things up. If you can get that long diagonal ball going, you'll start to find a lot of situations where the defense is not all crammed in the box, and a quick attack can take advantage of that.


On 3* I struggle to get to the corners to setup a pass into the box. They just defend so much tighter then 2* and run faster. I also need to be more patient and pass the ball over trying to dribble. I lose possesion all game long trying to bob and weave through the pitch. I guess playing too much NCAA 06 and football games in general are to blame for that mentality.

Originally posted by Zeppo

 
Another thing to do is use the early crosses and lofted through balls early and often, from all over the field.  The more you use these, the more you will find those sweet spots and situations where they work best.


Agree and something I do not take advantage of. Too busy getting stripped of the ball in my attempt to make every player play like Renaldo.


Originally posted by Zeppo

 
I refuse to believe in any kind of speed cheats or 'comeback AI' or any of that stuff that seems to be the regular cry of woe with a new WE release.  I just don't see any of these unfair things in the game.  And I still think 4* is the 'regular' difficulty level, with 5* adding in a lot of over-agressive defensive pressure, but not any kind of attribute boosts or speed boosts or anything.


Have not played it enough to really notice the "spped-cheats, comebackAI and GOD mode" which is always mentioned on the higher difficulties. I think in a small part you can find it in most every sports game but not something I worry about.  I do feel like certain aspects of the games feel scripted but again I get that in most every sports game. It is AI logic afterall. The only real difference I see is how much faster the CPU is on 3* and above compared to 2*. Konami does have some very odd programming when it comes to stamina, accumulated fatigue in the ML compared to what a players ratings are. I hate having to sub in for my stars after a couple games, even though they have a high stamina and conditioning rating.





Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
Back to Top
K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP
Avatar

Joined: 01-26-2006
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1529
Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-06-2006 at 8:37pm

Anybody else use that converter to decode the secret message?!  I could've used a calculator and an ASCII table, but I didn't have all day.  That converter was pretty cool!

Kevin

Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down



This page was generated in 0.156 seconds.