Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Is Gamefly getting more popular?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIs Gamefly getting more popular?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
MVP
MVP

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Gamefly getting more popular?
    Posted: 10-23-2008 at 4:04pm
For the fourth release out of five I haven't gotten the game on release day and the availability is "Low" meaning it has a 25-45% chance to ship on any given day.  All four of these titles have been "low" since release and I haven't had one ship yet.  The one release that I got on release day was Fifa 09.  I have been keeping two slots open in my Q to get these anticipated releases.

The four that I didn't get were:

Blitz II
Dead Space
Fable II
Farcry 2

I wonder if GF is not ordering as many copies or if there memberships is exploding.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-23-2008 at 6:33pm
I think it is a combination of things.

It is getting more popular. Our porous economy has only helped companies like Gamefly.
I think more people are renting new releases and then buying them shortly after.
Gamefly has never been that great (for me) in having new releases.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
Grambo Bastille View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-23-2008 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by Brent

I think it is a combination of things.

It is getting more popular. Our porous economy has only helped companies like Gamefly.
I think more people are renting new releases and then buying them shortly after.
Gamefly has never been that great (for me) in having new releases.

Ditto with me, which is one of the reasons I dropped it last Spring.  I was thinking about starting it up again, but not if I can't get at least one of the premier titles out at any given time.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-23-2008 at 6:45pm
So you guys have had the same problem?  Open spots in your Q and the title is released and you don't get it?
Slumberland View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-23-2008 at 6:58pm
I have not had this problem... got Saints Row 2, Fable 2, and Midnight Club Los Angeles all shipped out upon release, with some even shipping via FastReturn before my game even got back to them.  I would give them a call and see if everything's cool with your queue... I remember once mine somehow got "stuck" and the rep fiddled with something, got it going again and gave me some Gamefly Dollars for my trouble.

My only problem is with the occasional game that gets lost/delayed.  The usual return time is two days, but certain games mysteriously take over a week, which doesn't square with me.  They all usually get there, but Brothers In Arms I sent back 10 days ago and it really seems to have vanished.  I marked it as lost and it was immediately removed from my Q, whereas I've previously had to wait a couple days for them to process the shipping problem.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-23-2008 at 7:11pm
Thanks for the tips, Seth Thumbs Up
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-23-2008 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by Slumberland

I have not had this problem... got Saints Row 2, Fable 2, and Midnight Club Los Angeles all shipped out upon release...

Are you enjoying SR2 or Fable 2 more, Slumber?
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-23-2008 at 9:27pm
Well, to be honest I have not yet popped Fable 2 in yet, because I adore Saints Row so much.  It is such stupid fun.  I'm hoping to start Fable tonight, but my cross-dressing British gangster and his gyrocopter call out to me.
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-24-2008 at 7:22am
I played the first hour of Fable last night and man was it boring.  I hear it gets better, but with Fallout 3 dropping soon (which I've pre-ordered from Amazon), who knows how long it is for this world.
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-24-2008 at 9:48am
Yeah, open-world 'stupid fun' has a lot of appreal for me right now.  I wasn't expecting to even really consider SR2 (I thought the first was maybe only a little better than okay,) but I'm being pretty swayed by a lot of impressions that I have been reading.

Sorry for the Threadjack, Ted.  On topic, I still usually get most new titles on launch when I have an open slot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>