Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Old Fart Grambo's Game of the Year
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOld Fart Grambo's Game of the Year

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
All-Star
All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old Fart Grambo's Game of the Year
    Posted: 11-01-2008 at 5:19pm
Since I doubt anything left on the schedule can beat it, I feel comfortable with this pick.

My past winners:

2006 - Oblivion
2007 - NHL 08

And for 2008 (insert drum roll here):

Fallout 3

This game is so awesome, I can't describe it in words.  I had a feeling it would be near the top for me (and there were some great games this year), but it has the feel of Oblivion, and I loved the Fallout world from the PC days.

NHL 09 and NCAA Football could have been contenders this year - in fact, those would tie in the sports category for me.

It is indeed a great time to be a gamer.
Slumberland View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-02-2008 at 1:46pm
Fallout 3 is indeed a feat... it's also WAY more depressing and affecting than I anticipated, even with all the dark humor around the edges.  I'm going to have to play it alongside another game like Fable or something to take the edge off.  Oblivion was a light romp in comparison.  In that game, I was like, "oh, it'd be fun to take my character in this direction, la da dee, la dee da...", while in Fallout I'm just worried about surviving at this point.  Scavenging for anything that can help, and terrified by pretty much any glimpse of movement I see above ground.  Because 9 times out of 10, it's nothing friendly.
Grambo Bastille View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-02-2008 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Slumberland

Fallout 3 is indeed a feat... it's also WAY more depressing and affecting than I anticipated, even with all the dark humor around the edges.  I'm going to have to play it alongside another game like Fable or something to take the edge off.  Oblivion was a light romp in comparison.  In that game, I was like, "oh, it'd be fun to take my character in this direction, la da dee, la dee da...", while in Fallout I'm just worried about surviving at this point.  Scavenging for anything that can help, and terrified by pretty much any glimpse of movement I see above ground.  Because 9 times out of 10, it's nothing friendly.

One way around that is to explore in crouch mode.  You move slower, but at the top it tells you whether someone is near:

Hidden, written in green means you're safe
Something else written in green (can't remember what it was - detected maybe?) means a friendly, or a potential friendly or neutral are nearby
Caution, written in red means someone nasty is near
Danger, written in red means you are essentially screwed ..... but basically it means you have been detected by a non-friendly

Also, as you are skulking around, you will see up to three red blips on the compass in the direction where baddies are around.

I haven't found it depressing yet, but I can see how someone could feel that way.  It IS very scary though, but once you start getting some decent weapons it gets a tad easier (but never easy).
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-03-2008 at 7:17am
Is there a demo available. I may have to check this one out. My only concern is that it's a FPS, right?
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-03-2008 at 9:20am
Originally posted by JasonSGN

Is there a demo available. I may have to check this one out. My only concern is that it's a FPS, right?

Actually it is more of an RPG than a shooter, but ..... combat can be done in First Person or Third Person just by pushing the Left Bumper.

I doubt there will be a demo - did you ever play Oblivion?  It is essentially the same as that but instead of being in a fantasy world using swords and magic, you are in a post-apocalyptic wasteland (of the Washington DC area) set in the not too distant future.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-03-2008 at 12:02pm
It's sort of a hybrid FPS.  You CAN play entirely as FPS, but your ability to use weapons effectively if governed by your skill in that area.  Thus if you put your crosshairs right on a guy and pull the trigger the shot will still go wide quite often until you build up enough skill. 

On the other side of things it appears that enemies are governed by the same laws as well because I have gotten into some massive to to toe shootouts with things where there lack of skill was apparent with bullets whizzing by me left and right, while at other times they are plugging me easily from a distance with rifles and obviously are skilled in that area.

VATS adds a very fun and entertaining aspect to combat too.

Except for little some glaring immersion killers this is a very good game with a mediocre story so far.
Fazeo View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fazeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-03-2008 at 1:15pm
I'm wary of Fallout 3 because it does look overly depressing and dark. It might be a great game but I'm not sure I want to inhabit that type of game world for too long.

Plus I have been sucked into Far Cry 2 since I got it anyway. Oh and I have Fable 2 but I've yet to play it. :)
Slumberland View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-03-2008 at 3:17pm
So you're playing this too, Ted?  Did you take the sheriff's cowboy hat so you could pretend you were a gunslinger traversing a world that had "moved on"?
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-03-2008 at 7:20pm
LOL  You know me too well.  I did that in the 360 version when I ratted out Burke to the Sheriff and we had a 3 way gunfight.  He killed Lucas, I killed Burke, and then I took the hat.  Two weeks later the bodies are still lying in the saloon and nobody seems to care (see immersion killer 3 posts above).

In the PC version I rigged the bomb and blew up Megaton.  I HAD to see what that looked like.  Then I felt so guilty I went on a rampage and killed everyone in Tenpenny Towers.  I wonder how the story will deal with that?
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-04-2008 at 5:27pm
I took down Three Dog just for the hell of it.  I stopped playing the game right away though, as I didn't want to continue the storyline from there.

So I boot up today from my last continue and suddenly some nervous chick is broadcasting on the radio frequency and I think, uh oh .... maybe I have the wrong station?  A few minutes on she announces she hopes someone will come by and take over for the fallen Three Dog.

Bottom line - revert to older save and resolve not to be such a smartass anymore.

By the way - anyone at level 6 yet and choose the Bloody Mess perk?  Pretty awesome stuff there, especially in VATS slo-mo.  You can actually see eyeballs flying out for certain creatures.

Does that make me demented?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>