Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: PS3 is delayed
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPS3 is delayed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message / View Unread Post
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PS3 is delayed
    Posted: 03-15-2006 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Jason

Having your husband stay home on Saturday nights playing online games with his boyfriend is NOT the worst thing in the world.

Sorry, couldn't resist, and I figured I'd beat Brent to it .

I'm getting into some other hobbies (re-entering some others) and gaming is cheap compared to most, especially if you rent most of your titles.

I'm backing away from my earlier statement of getting a 360 on the mainland this week.  There are just too many things I want to do outside of gaming right now and the gaming I am doing is filled by the different online things we have going here.

Can anyone tell me why a blue-ray player is so good from a consumer standpoint?  I'm being serious and not sarcastic with my question.

Zeppo View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zeppo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-15-2006 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by Ted_L

Can anyone tell me why a blue-ray player is so good from a consumer standpoint?  I'm being serious and not sarcastic with my question.

Blu-ray is one of the two competing formats for upcoming HD video releases.  It's somewhat like the jump from VHS to DVD for home movie watching.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-15-2006 at 5:24pm

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-15-2006 at 5:49pm

I'm backing away from my earlier statement of getting a 360 on the mainland this week.  There are just too many things I want to do outside of gaming right now and the gaming I am doing is filled by the different online things we have going here.

I must be rubbing off on you.   I am sure I will change my mind on next-gen a few hundred times until fall/winter. 

Unless NCAA 07 is simply revolutionary compared to the Xbox version I just see myself going the $29.99 Xbox route. Just can't see that happeneing when your largest base is still the current generation of gamers. 300,000 PS2's were sold in February. Sony has confirmed they have no plans to drop the price of it (they expect four-five more years from the PS2). EA goes where the money is and it's a perfect senario for them. Keep making your big bucks current gen titles and slowly build next gen franchises with minimal updates. The current generation will get new sports titles for years to come if history (PSX-PS2) serves correct.

Perfect senario for me is to hold of until Christmas and get an Xbox 360 as a gift. With a price drop I can ask Santa for a few extra games. Not to mention all the titles like Top Spin 2, FN3, etc that will drop drastically in price.  Heck Top Spin 2 is already retailing for $39.99 and is not even out. Then down the line pickup a PS3 or possibly even a Revolution for my love of all things Zelda.

Like anything electronics related the early adopeters pay the premium price and deal with the bugs and other issues.  Late adopters get to swoop in, purchasing a better chunk of hardware and plenty of cheap games to choose from.

I spent $700 for a 3DO. Well over $500 when DirecTV first showed up. $2500 for a HD TV years ago. Been there, done that and god willing never again.

I can live with one more year of "feature filled" sports games on a current console that I won't have to spend $59.99 on for what so far has proven to be "games prettier graphics and in many cases far less substance." The people I grin at are the ones that sold off their Xbox for a 360. They get to miss out on WE9 and MVP 06, just to name a few. The next gen games already released will still be there when I show up. At a cheaper price tag to boot.

TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-15-2006 at 5:58pm
All good points and yes, it was your post about at least waiting to E3 that rubbed off on me.

Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-15-2006 at 6:02pm

All good points and yes, it was your post about at least waiting to E3 that rubbed off on me.

I was actually referring to changing your mind within a day.   I was well known at OS for buying and selling hardware (especially the PS2 and Dreamcast) every other month.

Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-15-2006 at 6:27pm
Gotta love MS with their official reply to the PS3 Press Event

This announcement certainly doesn’t change any of our plans. We’ve blasted out of the gate with the greatest launch in the history of video games and we’re keeping our eyes squarely fixed on today and on the Xbox 360 road ahead, including continuous new content and programming through our premier Xbox Live online gaming service, the delivery of 80 high definition games and shipping between 4.5 and 5.5 million consoles by June.

K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-15-2006 at 9:17pm
From Gaming Age
  • Worldwide Launch - November 11.
  • Six million units produced in 2006 alone, a move to stem shortages.
  • The price will not be less than 50,000 yen ($420 US)
  • Full backwards compatibility, hi-res and texture filtering for all titles, akin to what the Xbox 360 does.
  • 60GB HDD standard, loaded with Linux.
  • Every PS3 game will be on a Blu Ray Disc, in an attempt to prevent piracy.
  • The online service will be working off of GameSpy technology.

I'll believe this when I see it...  I'd bet Jason's HDTV that you won't see the PS3 in the states before 2007. 

Kevin

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-16-2006 at 10:07am
Originally posted by K_Mosley

I'll believe this when I see it...  I'd bet Jason's HDTV that you won't see the PS3 in the states before 2007. 

Hey, leave my TV out of this .

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-16-2006 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Jason

Originally posted by K_Mosley

Hey, leave my TV out of this .

I have nothing else to add but wanted to show off the new "Quote" format I added today .

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>