Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Road Club - PC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedRoad Club - PC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MVP
MVP

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Road Club - PC
    Posted: 02-27-2009 at 1:26pm
http://solidcore.se/roadclub/index.php

Adam or anyone try this top down 2D racer?  There is a free demo and it has gotten some good reviews:

http://jaguarusf.blogspot.com/

I really really like how the cars handle.  The top down view is easy to adjust to and it just feels like watching a road race from the helicopter view on TV that you sometimes see.  The camera sort or swings and zooms so seamlessly that it makes it a beauty to watch.  Be sure to watch the trailer.

I'm sure even low end systems can handle it and no peripherals required as it is keyboard controlled.

Plus there is an included track editor/creator that is easy to use and allows you to customize to a great extent.

Really tempted to spend the $20 on it.

GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-27-2009 at 7:51pm
Hadn't heard of it until this post, Ted, but I've given it a download and it's good fun.

I'm not completely on top of the handling just yet but there's clearly a bit of depth to it, and in the couple of quick races I ran it was easier to lock a brake than it is in a lot of sim racers.  The AI was generally nice and racy and made plenty of mistakes of its own.  The only thing I did notice was they seemed to be a lot slower than me in corners but much faster coming off them, but I didn't even check to see if we were all running the same type of car so there could be all sorts of reasons for that.

The camera is excellent, as you say, and the gameplay is good fun.  Whether I'd spend the money on it...well, I don't know, but it's not bad at all.  It reminds me in a few ways of a great old game called Super Cars that Gremlin released on the old home formats. 
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-27-2009 at 11:07pm
I just figured out today that the demo actually allows you to run a bit of the career mode.  So I was able to run on at least 6 different tracks and buy a car and make some repairs and earn some money.  You get money for every finish except last place.

There is a bit of a game in there even if you don't spend any money.
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-11-2009 at 8:31am

I'll put this here because it seems like a good fit - the first game in several years I've been moved to write a review for:

http://www.newstarsoccer.com/nsgp.html

The handling isn't anything like as realistic as that of Road Club but the gameplay, especially once you're racing the AI-controlled cars, is an absolute joy and more addictive than almost any big-budget racer you could mention.  New Star's website has a free trial available; give it a go.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-11-2009 at 5:47pm
Thanks for the link, Adam.  I got the demo and am having some fun with it.  Can't do more than finish last at this point, but it seems it has support for a gamepad.  Are you using the keyboard or a pad to race?
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-11-2009 at 6:24pm

Keyboard, Ted.  For some reason I'm hopeless at controlling games like this with a gamepad.  I don't know why that should be.

Glad to hear you're having some fun with it.  It only gets better once you're quick enough to mix it with the other cars.

Post Reply Post Reply