Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: MLB 2K9 Impressions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMLB 2K9 Impressions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MLB 2K9 Impressions
    Posted: 03-03-2009 at 9:25pm
After a few games I can safely say that this was a good purchase for me. I was a fan of 2K8 and really enjoy some of the updates in this year's version. Here are some quick impressions:
  • The graphics and presentation are both very good. The stadiums look much better this year too.
  • I've learned to really enjoy the 2-step pitching and there are some slider adjustments to make it as easy or hard as you'd like.
  • I love pitching with the "behind-the-pitcher" camera...something I haven't used in a long time (Bases Loaded on the NES).
  • I don't like that you can't adjust the CPU lineup in a Play Now game.
  • There's still some frame-rate issues on ground balls, but not enough to hurt the game.
  • Unlike many others, I'm seeing the CPU take strikes and I'm playing with sliders slightly adjusted from Pro.
K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-03-2009 at 9:26pm
Let me know if you run into any game-crashing bugs.  That has me worried a bit, and holding off.  (Evidently, it had something to do with the 'quick play' mode and a franchise, or something like that.)

Kevin
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-03-2009 at 9:28pm
There was a patch that was released today that supposedly resolves the franchise issues. I'm not sure if it addresses any crashing issues though.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-03-2009 at 9:36pm
Ted, regarding your question on minor league teams (from the 2K forums):

Q: Thanks for your time. Are the minor leagues the same as last year?
A: We have all AAA, AA, and High A teams and leagues this year. The main
difference is only AAA games will be playable this year. All rosters
have been updated for minor league teams.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-03-2009 at 9:49pm
I also LOVE that there's practice for:
  • Batting
  • Pitching
  • Fielding
  • Baserunning
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-03-2009 at 10:17pm
Also, the new base stealing controls are nice and the ball physics coming off the bat are great.
K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-04-2009 at 9:12am
How are the walks?  (Taking them and throwing them.)

Kevin
Grambo Bastille View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-04-2009 at 9:15am
I've had some game crashing issues, but not sure if it is the game or my 360.

The first time it happened was when I quit a franchise game in the middle of an inning - the screen froze.  That was no big deal as I was just fooling around with stuff and figured it was no big deal.

The second time was when I tried the Save and Quit option in the middle of a game.  I was psyched that they had this feature in this year, but it froze while trying to save.

The third time really pissed me off.  I finally started my franchise and was going into the bottom of the 7th.   Screen froze - reboot - lost whole game.

Again, not sure if it is my console or not (I have had this issue with a couple of other games), but if it continues, I can't see how I will play this game.  I don't want to invest an hour into a game just to see it crash in the latter innings.  And I don't want to have to Save and Quit (even assuming that it works) every inning just to preserve my game.  It's too bad, because I love most everything else about this one (except the menu access ..... that part sucks).
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-04-2009 at 9:22am
I've read other reports of frequent crashing too, Grambo, so it's definitely not just you.  That stinks.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-04-2009 at 10:01am
Originally posted by K_Mosley

How are the walks?  (Taking them and throwing them.)

I'm a pretty free swinger, but I'll try to draw some walks tonight and see what happens. You can adjust the sliders to make pitching quite hard too. I did get the CPU to strike out looking plenty of times though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>