Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: MLB 2K9 Impressions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMLB 2K9 Impressions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
MVP
MVP

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MLB 2K9 Impressions
    Posted: 03-04-2009 at 11:45am

Do you have any impressions on the zone (cursor) hitting, Jason?  That (specifically, how difficult it is and the variety of hits it yields) is what I am probably most intrigued about for this game.

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-04-2009 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Derek

Do you have any impressions on the zone (cursor) hitting, Jason?  That (specifically, how difficult it is and the variety of hits it yields) is what I am probably most intrigued about for this game.

Not yet. I lost interest in this feature when I found out that it was more like cursor hitting and less like zone hitting. I'll try it out tonight and let you know how it is. I've been getting a good hit variety using the swing stick only. I also think the ball physics are VERY realistic because the ball comes off the bat the way it should. You can jam hitters, pull the ball and go the other way with the ball depending on your swing timing. The ball always seems to go where it's supposed to when I see when and where the bat makes contact with it.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-04-2009 at 5:12pm
Jason could you do me a favor since I wont be back till Sun or Mon? Go into the online section and let me know what options we have in an UNRANKED game in regards to pitching/batting controls.  Can two people use separate controls, etc. 

Would like to play you online this year but need to know what setting we would use.  Heck I would prefer to use the Zone/Cursor hitting online but from what I recall the options were classic or swing stick.  Also on the swing stick can you pick 2 or 3 step online.

So many questions. Tongue

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-05-2009 at 9:35am
Derek, I tried the cursor hitting quickly last night and found it to be very difficult to use. It's definitely cursor-hitting and NOT zone-hitting. Another thing I noticed it that the bat/cursor stays where you move it, meaning that it doesn't snap back to the middle if you release the left-stick. I haven't played a game with cursor-hitting in a long time and don't remember if that's how they all are. I also found the bat icon to be very distracting and there's no option to turn it off.

I didn't get many hits during my test, but I didn't really see any difference in the hit variety the few times I did put the ball in play. I confirmed this in batting practice to. I don't see myself using this option in the game.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-05-2009 at 10:02am
Brent, I tried to play an online game last night and it froze up on me. I'll try again tonight.

What do you mean by 2 or 3-step in regards to the swing stick? Did you mean pitching?
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-05-2009 at 10:08am
Originally posted by JasonSGN

Derek, I tried the cursor hitting quickly last night and found it to be very difficult to use. It's definitely cursor-hitting and NOT zone-hitting. Another thing I noticed it that the bat/cursor stays where you move it, meaning that it doesn't snap back to the middle if you release the left-stick. I haven't played a game with cursor-hitting in a long time and don't remember if that's how they all are. I also found the bat icon to be very distracting and there's no option to turn it off.

I didn't get many hits during my test, but I didn't really see any difference in the hit variety the few times I did put the ball in play. I confirmed this in batting practice to. I don't see myself using this option in the game.

Thanks, Jason.  All that may actually be a good thing for me (well, except for the bat icon being distracting) because I think making contact is too easy for me using the swing stick.  I take it you felt you swung and missed more with the cursor too?
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-05-2009 at 10:59am
Originally posted by Derek

I take it you felt you swung and missed more with the cursor too?

That would be an understatement LOL.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-05-2009 at 11:39am
Yes, I meant pitching.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
Grambo Bastille View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-06-2009 at 11:33am
Updated impressions - to me, this one is right up there with the NHL and NCAA Football franchises.

I think I have solved my crashing problem - I loaded the game onto my hard drive.  Just in case, I do back out an save my franchise every 2-3 innings.  It is not as much of a bother than I expected.

The feature of saving mid-game is the top drawing point to me.  A game of baseball tends to run awhil so it is nice to be able to stop when I have to and not start over.  the graphics and animations are very well done.  The commentary is off-track at moments, but no big deal to me.

Once I got a feel for the controls, I didn't want to stop playing!
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-06-2009 at 12:21pm
I'm enjoying 2K9 quite a bit, but I think there are some issues that need to be resolved before I rank it that high. The first thing VC needs to do is make the game stable. Nothing bothers me more than a game that crashes. I've only had it happen once so far, but I haven't played much either.

VC also needs to address some of the gameplay issues like the first baseman pulling his foot off the bag for no apparent reason and the CPU batter aggressiveness. It has been discovered that the aggressive CPU batters stems from a bug in the game that puts everybody's Walk Tendency at a D.

I'm looking forward to getting in some quality time with 2K9 this weekend and really feel that the game has alot of potential (I felt the same way about 2K8 too) if VC releases a patch to resolve some of the issues that have cropped up.

Edit: Let me add to this by saying that I wish I could see how well my pitching gestures are executed, like in 2K8.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>