Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: MLB 2K9 Impressions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMLB 2K9 Impressions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
MVP
MVP

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MLB 2K9 Impressions
    Posted: 03-06-2009 at 2:33pm
Hey Jason (and Ted and others),

Would you say 2K8 is the better game?  Right now, with all of the issues I'm hearing about 2K9, I'm really hesitant to pick it up.  I'm honestly leaning towards either getting MLB 2K8 (again), or picking up MLB the Show for the PS2...

Kevin
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-06-2009 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by K_Mosley

Hey Jason (and Ted and others),

Would you say 2K8 is the better game?  Right now, with all of the issues I'm hearing about 2K9, I'm really hesitant to pick it up. 

That's a very good question and one I've been thinking about for a few days. I liked the baserunning controls and fielding camera better in 2K8 and never really had a problem with the frame rate after the patch was released.

The infield fielding is better in 2K9 but there are problems with the outfielders dropping balls that they're right under. The graphics, play-by-play and presentation are also MUCH better in 2K9. I've also fallen in love with the behind-the-pitcher camera in 2K9.

The hitting and pitching really depend of your preference. It's harder to hit and pitch in 2K8 since 2K9 removed the back-step timing in batting this year. I liked 2K8's 3-step pitching, but have been surprisingly satisfied with the 2-step pitching in 2K9. 2K8 also had the "Meatball" pitch and I had a problem with changeups being thrown as fastballs.

As I mentioned previously, the next patch will make a huge difference in how I rate the two games.
K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-06-2009 at 3:07pm
That's the thing...  Is there going to be a "next patch?"  I hate waiting, but I think I'm just going to have to hunker down and see how this thing plays out.

This is the only time I regret not having a PS3.  That said, it's not worth $400+ for just one game...

Kevin
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-06-2009 at 3:29pm
Do you have a ps2, Kev?  You get almost all of the Show's gameplay, but obviously lack things like the custom chants, replay vault, super graphics, etc.

I did that last year and had a great time.

I *Did* basically get a PS3 for the Show (and Little Big Planet) this year, but it was a birthday present.  That is a lot to spend on one game, and even though I picked up a few other good titles, I'm still hesitant to say a PS3 is 'worth it' at its current price if you already have a 360.

This year's Show is probably the best baseball game I have ever played, though.  If you are a crazy baseball nut, your temptation is warranted... ;)
koebner View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote koebner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-06-2009 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by JasonSGN

I'm enjoying 2K9 quite a bit, but I think there are some issues that need to be resolved before I rank it that high. The first thing VC needs to do is make the game stable. Nothing bothers me more than a game that crashes. I've only had it happen once so far, but I haven't played much either.

VC also needs to address some of the gameplay issues like the first baseman pulling his foot off the bag for no apparent reason and the CPU batter aggressiveness. It has been discovered that the aggressive CPU batters stems from a bug in the game that puts everybody's Walk Tendency at a D.

I'm looking forward to getting in some quality time with 2K9 this weekend and really feel that the game has alot of potential (I felt the same way about 2K8 too) if VC releases a patch to resolve some of the issues that have cropped up.

Edit: Let me add to this by saying that I wish I could see how well my pitching gestures are executed, like in 2K8.

I wonder if the Walk Tendency thing could be solved through Living Rosters update,rather than a patch.
I'm not seeing the 1B glitch much at all,and haven't had any crashes.
Actually only need to adjust a few sliders to dial in this game,unlike 2K8.
I think the controls for batting and pitching are light years better than 2K8.It's difficult to use 2K8 and 2K9 in the same sentence,as 2K8 is a royal mess.

Grambo Bastille View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-06-2009 at 7:08pm
Personally, I found 2K8 still unplayable even after the patch.  I probably logged a total of 5 games on that version, and I picked it up on launch day.  I have already played more than that on 2K9 and have found that the game flows like real baseball.

I haven't had a crash since I installed it on the HD.

I had the same problem with outfielders dropping routine flies as well.  However, I have since refined how I position them for the catch and find that this is now minimal.  In fact, some of the catches on the fly have been breathtaking.

Yeah, there are still some minor nuisances, but for my $$ this is the best action baseball game I have played yet (I still prefer the text based ones).  It took a few games to get used to the controls, but now that I have, it feels fluid to me.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-06-2009 at 9:04pm
I played a few more games of 2K9 and resolved some of my complaints with the game. I lowered the Human Error slider down to 10 and haven't had an issues with my first baseman pulling his foot off the bag. I also lowered the CPU Fielder Speed to 45 and that seems to have almost eliminated the slow motion running of the outfielders on fly balls. Finally, I changed the Dynamic Landing Indicator to locked and that has helped with my outfielders dropping balls that they're right under. So far, so good!!!
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-06-2009 at 9:34pm
Koebner, I'm pretty sure that even changing a players attributes has no effect on the walk tendency.

Kevin, I think there will be another patch since this game was developed internally by Visual Concepts. The outcry over the bugs alone would merit another patch.
K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-06-2009 at 9:56pm
Thanks for the impressions, guys. 

Derek - I do have a PS2, and I'm thinking hard about maybe getting the Show 09 for it and MLB 2K8 for the 360.  I'm still one the fence about 2K9.  I'm going to try to take the "wait and see" approach.  I definitely won't be getting a PS3, though.

Kevin
koebner View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote koebner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-07-2009 at 12:00am
Originally posted by JasonSGN

Koebner, I'm pretty sure that even changing a players attributes has no effect on the walk tendency.

Kevin, I think there will be another patch since this game was developed internally by Visual Concepts. The outcry over the bugs alone would merit another patch.

Well,they were able to change the Cardinals' road batting helmets via roster update,which the user can't do.I'm thinking maybe the walk tendency could be tended to under the hood that way.If not,hopefully via patch.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>