Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Virtual Baseball Season/Franchise Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedVirtual Baseball Season/Franchise Updates

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021>
Author
All-Star
All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Virtual Baseball Season/Franchise Updates
    Posted: 05-19-2010 at 1:32pm
Man, even though it feels like I'm constantly playing, I'm only slightly ahead of the real life Mets' pace for 2010.

I'm through May 22nd on the PSP, with a record of 20-24.  Meanwhile, the real Mets are 19-21 as of today, the 19th.  Pretty darn close!

Just took game two of the Subway Series after a sacrifice fly in the bottom of the 12th.  Rubber match tomorrow.
Mike_S View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-04-2010 at 3:12pm
Hadn't updated in a while since my season is going at a snail's pace, but...

Mid-2011 High Heat season: Was down 6-1 in the 8th to Toronto and had an improbably comeback with 2 in the 8th then 4 in the 9th for a 7-6 win.  This led to a great 5-game winning streak, which was finally broken by a 9-1 loss to the White Sox.

We stand at 11-9, 1 game back of Baltimore for the AL East lead and tied for the lead in the wild card standings.

Easily our best season so far, I just have not had a lot of time to play... :-|

Slumberland View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-07-2010 at 2:02pm
I'm 24-30 with the Mets and starting to panic.  I went on a trading spree.  I will do anything to get back in the race.  I have no morals.  Oh, virtual Yankees, you put Phil Hughes on the trading block?  Let's make a deal.  Rockies, why would you want to get rid of Ubaldo Jimenez?  Never mind, let's see what we can do for one another.

AND IT STILL MAY NOT HELP!
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-13-2010 at 12:44pm
Okay, 37-37 with my PSP Mets.  Four games behind the Phillies in the NL East (and looking up at the Braves as well).  I'm lagging just a bit behind the real life season, mostly due to buying Metal Gear: Peace Walker a couple of weeks ago.  In my last game against the Twins, Jose Reyes led off the game with an inside the park homerun, something I've never done in a video game before.  Exciting!

On the PS3 version I've just been running playoff scenarios.  I have the Mets in the NLCS after just outlasting the Giants in the division series.  Game 1 of the NLDS against the Reds saw the Mets come back from a 6-1 deficit to tie it 6-6 and eventually beat the Giants 7-6 in the TWENTY-THIRD INNING, with Johan Santana coming in as last-resort relief and basically throwing an entire start on short rest.

A small part of me found it exciting and memorable, but largely I thought it was ridiculous, time-consuming and an all-too-common occurrence in The Show... a late flurry that gives one team just enough to tie, then both offenses go to sleep for an extra innings slog.  Maybe I've just been "lucky".
Mike_S View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-13-2010 at 2:42pm
Love the update.  Been meaning to get back to my season, but between working late and spending more time with my kids in the AM, I'm just too tired to play and concentrate when I finally finish dinner and can just fall asleep on the couch to whatever's on ESPNU, E!, etc... :-(

All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-13-2010 at 3:05pm
Yeah, it is nice to have something long term going with some success... the key for me is that it has to be mobile, it seems.  I just get too antsy playing baseball at home.  The hours are too few.
Mike_S View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-02-2010 at 1:32pm
Finally got around to playing a little more HH this week for the first time in ages.

My "recent" 5 game winning streak was immediately followed by a 6-game losing streak that sent me from wildcard leader back down the standings.  My pitching was anything but strong, and in the games where our hitting kept us in it, we took two extremely painful 1-run losses to the Yankees.  We finally broke free with a 12-6 win over the Tigers last night, which puts us back to 12-13, 5 GB in the East and 3 GB in the Wild Card race.  Remember that our season is 48 games, so we're just past halfway through 2011.

It still feels like the team has a great shot at the playoffs (for the first time) if the pitching returns to form.  To that end, we moved Shawn Chacon who has been getting progressively worse and more wild each season we've had him, along with never-really-panned-out left-handed-reliever Ned Nixon to the Expos in exchange for lefties Joe Kennedy and Jeremy Affeldt.  There's only one more day 'til the trading deadling, I doubt I will make further moves, but it's the first time we made a move trying to bolster a real playoff run.  We'll see what happens...
Mike_S View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-05-2010 at 3:46pm
Not that anyone expected anything different...

My pitching staff has done a 180 and is getting crushed.  Save for a great 7IP 2ER performance by newly-acquired Joe Kennedy in his first start, we're routinely giving up 7+ runs per game even with our really good pitchers going.  We're 2-10 in our last 12 games since our awesome 5-game winning streak put us in first place for a minute.

We're now 12-16, 5 GB of the Yankees for the Wildcard lead, going into a 2-game set in the Bronx.  My hopes aren't high since they have some great hitting, but who knows...
Mike_S View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-06-2010 at 3:08pm
Well, a surprise occurred after all.  Our pitching was solid, and our bats came to life.  We took both games in NY, 8-3 and 8-5.

We were actually 13-17 coming in, we're now back to 15-17.  4.5 games south of Baltimore for first place, and 3.5 behind the Yanks for the Wild Card Lead with 16 games still to go.

The bad news is I'm off on a family vacation camping for a week (not my favorite) just as the season might be heating back up...

Mike_S View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-23-2010 at 3:07pm
We're now 16-20, 5 GB in the division, 4.5 in the Wildcard race with 12 to play in 2011.

Lost an absolute heartbreaker in a key division game to Tampa Bay -- Down 4-1 after 5, scratched out a run in the 6th and another in the 7th to make it 4-3.  With 2-out in the ninth and a man on third, Carl Crawford hit a slow grounder to third that he JUST beat out (on a virtual tie) to save the game at 4-4.  Colby Lewis was fantastic in relief, but we couldn't score again.  Finally pulled Lewis in the 14th, Tampa scored and that was it, 5-4.

After responding with a great 7-5 win to split the TB series, we went to Seattle next (who are pretty bad this season).  Jose Loftus our struggling ace was awesome, but we were no-hit ourselves until a ground-ball up-the-middle single in the 7th (the longest I have ever been no-hit in a HH league game).  A 2-run homer beat us 2-0, and we finished with only 1 hit.

The season has been tremendously fun, but if we don't get to at least .500 (which would be for the first time in the career mode) it will be a huge disappointment, particularly after the hot start.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021>