Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Virtual Baseball Season/Franchise Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedVirtual Baseball Season/Franchise Updates

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 21>
Author
Rookie
Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Virtual Baseball Season/Franchise Updates
    Posted: 03-04-2010 at 4:18pm
3-3 so far in 2011.  Won 2 out of 3 in Toronto with great pitching in all 3 games.  Won 1 of 3 in Baltimore where the pitching was mostly below-average, the key game being a tough 6-5 loss in 10 innings after giving up a 4-1 early lead and a 5-4 8th inning lead.

2 more road games at Minnesota, then a big homestand.

The good news: 10 HR in the first 6 games!  We had I think 44 HR in the 48 games last season, so it feels like our focus on upgrading power is paying off so far.  Also John Garland, our new 5th starter, pitched 6 shutout innings in our win against Baltimore.

No real bad news yet, other than we've already lost 2 1-run games.

Any new seasons for you guys with The Show of 2K10 ?
Slumberland View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-05-2010 at 1:48pm
I lost my Mets opener for 2010, 8-7 to the Marlins in the renovated Polo Grounds, where the Wilpons plan to play 50% of their home games this season. Thumbs Up

Jorge Cantu abused the short porch in right to the tune of 3 opposite field fly balls-- I mean home runs.  Daniel Murphy snuck a two-run laser of his own just inside the foul pole to get us back into it.  Franceour had an exciting stand-up triple which bounced all the way to the Marlins "bullpen" in the deep left-center alley.  A wild stadium to play in!

Johan Santana continued his tradition of being awful for me in The Show.
Mike_S View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-08-2010 at 4:08pm
Strange weekend...

Played 2 at Minnesota to finish the road trip.  In the first, went up 4-0 in the top of the first and never looked back, winning 7-2.  In the second, went up 3-0 in the top of the first and never looked back, winning 7-1.  These were the 2 easiest wins in the entire franchise so far (more than 8 seasons), and I started thinking maybe our team is finally really strong.

Then played the first two home games of the season against Baltimore.  We lost 2-of-3 in Baltimore last week, and were tied for second in the East with them at 5-3 coming in, so I wanted these games pretty badly.  We went up 3-0 early in the first, and Shawn Chacon (our #4 starter now)  kept getting out of jams.  Then reality struck -- they got 2 in the 4th, 3 more in the 5th, and before I knew it the O's had won it in a rout, 11-4.  Then in game 2, we went down 4-1 early, scratched it back to 4-3 late, then Colby Lewis our great closer got roughed up for 2 runs in the 9th and we lost 6-3.

So we're now 5-5, third in the east.  Lots more home games coming up against strong competition -- Cleveland (top of the central), then TB (top of the east) are next.

All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-17-2010 at 8:26am
Started a season with the Twins in Show '10.  They're really fun to play with, the new stadium is great, and the AL Central is sort of an exotic place for a Mets fan like me.  It's been win-loss-win-loss for me so far, splitting a four-game series against the Angels, taking two of three against the White Sox, and then dropping a heartbreaker in extra innings to the Red Sox in our home opener, leaving us at 4-4.

On the PSP I'm rolling with the Pirates.  Now THAT is a challenge.  We're 1-2 so far, salvaging the last game of a series against the Dodgers where my guys finally realized that even a small market team is allowed to hit homeruns.
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-15-2010 at 10:04am
I've been out of the country for a while, and haven't had a chance to get deeper into my Twins season on the PS3, but I did have a lot of airplane time to dig into the PSP version and a new Mets season.  I'm a very uninspiring 6-12 right now.  They play a lot like real life!  Many personnel changes, perhaps more to come...
Mike_S View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-15-2010 at 4:18pm
Haven't had ANY time for High Heat lately, want to get back into it as soon as time permits.

However 2 quick related notes:

- My closer Colby Lewis: In real life -- as a non-roster invitee for Texas -- had 10 K's last night and is 2-0 for the Rangers!!  He's now on my Fantasy Baseball team!!

- I did have a few opportunities to continue my LONG Baseball Heroes of the MLBPAA season (on my cell phone when I have time to kill - my Avatar on this site is from that game).  It's a 144 game season with 16 teams featuring historical players playing 3-inning games.  I probably play like 20-30 games a year, just a few games here and there when I'm waiting for a plane or otherwise waiting for something.  Anyway, the lowlight was (as Boston) having a 2-0 lead against Kansas City, seeing Mike Torrez walk 2 players with 2 outs in the 3rd, then bringing in Dick "The Monster" Radatz who prompty threw a game-losing 3-run homer to Willie Mays Aikens. :-)  We're currently 51-36, in first place in the East Division, but only 2 games up on NY (and there's no wild card in the game, so we need to win the division).

The side note is that my phone hasn't been working all that well lately, and the game is only available for Verizon phones circa 2004, so I'm hoping the phone lasts long enough to complete the season.

All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-05-2010 at 8:17am
My Mets season on PSP (which has been totally awesome after finding some excellent sliders that bring the offense on both sides back down to earth a bit) is chugging along enjoyably but unfavorably, initially going 8-17, followed by a six-game win streak filled with promise, and now a three-game slide (to the Nationals no less) that has me at 14-20, seven games behind the league leading Phillies.  It's still early though.

I have complete given up on the hopes of playing a full season on the PS3 (not enough time when home, which is fine), but have re-discovered the joys of Road to the Show after creating an 18-year-old second base prospect Seth Berkowitz in the Mets organization.  They included my last name in the audio database after I requested it in an Operation Sports thread last year, so coming up to bat and having my name said by Matt Vasgersian as well as the booming, echo-y stadium announcer is super cool.

I spent 2010 as a backup utility guy with the AA Binghamton Mets, and after an ice-cold start, finished the season respectably enough with a .266 average, mostly pinch-hitting but getting spot starts here and there (even catching from time to time).  They informed me on the last day of the season that I'd earned the starting job, just in time for minor league playoffs, where with a one-run lead and the opponents having loaded the bases but down to their last out in the ninth, I took a ground ball and overthew first base.  I hadn't had a throwing error all year up 'til then.  The series went five games, but we lost.  That burned!

I waited around for a contract offer in the offseason and thankfully was able to stay within the Mets organization, getting a job on the bench with the AAA Bisons.  I've just started the 2011 campaign, but am excited to hopefully reach the bigs along with some other real-life Mets prospects like Fernando Martinez, Dillon Gee, Ike Davis, and so on (I'm using the full minors rosters from O.S.).
Mike_S View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-05-2010 at 3:49pm
" They informed me on the last day of the season that I'd earned the starting job, just in time for minor league playoffs, where with a one-run lead and the opponents having loaded the bases but down to their last out in the ninth, I took a ground ball and overthew first base.  I hadn't had a throwing error all year up 'til then.  The series went five games, but we lost. "  That sucks, but at the same time is absolutely awesome.

No real news in High Heat, we're 6-7 and a few games back early in 2011.  Not a lot of time to play with lots of work...
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-06-2010 at 9:14am
Yeah, I appreciated the setback from a narrative point of view.  I don't think the team or fans resented it as much as they would in real life, though!  Short digital memories, they all have.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-13-2010 at 10:20am
I'm still waiting on the second patch for 2K10 before starting my franchise. It looks like it will finally be released in the next two weeks. I want to get deep into my franchise before NCAA Football 11 comes out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 21>