Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Virtual Baseball Season/Franchise Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedVirtual Baseball Season/Franchise Updates

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 21>
Author
MVP
MVP

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Virtual Baseball Season/Franchise Updates
    Posted: 05-07-2009 at 10:16am
My fifth starter, Carlos Silva, edged a win in a 2-1 victory over the Twins in Minnesota.  Silva went 6 innings, giving up 10 hits and 1 ER while striking out 2 and walking two, improving his record to 2-3.  I was able to work out of a couple of bases loaded jams that were pretty tense.  On the first one with no outs, I struck out the next batter and then got the batter after that to ground into a DP.

We got on the board early, but couldn't muster any offense in the last 6 innings.  Good enough for the win, but it was all pitching that won this one. 

After simming the next two games in Minnesota our record is 18-14 as we travel to Texas.
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-07-2009 at 1:28pm
I'm now 0-7 on All-Star, a far worse streak than I've ever had on HOF.  Crazy, but the CPU is hitting me like mad at this level.

Also, Slumber, I *think* you get highlights if you don't skip over ('x'-out of) an in-game flashback to a previous HR or something. (which if you're like me, you do accidentally all of the time!) This was mentioned at OS, and in a very limited amount of personal testing, seems to be proving true.
Slumberland View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-07-2009 at 1:37pm
I skip those all the time by accident.  How am I supposed to remember who hit a home run?

I'm hoping they are still going to mini-patch that problem out.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-07-2009 at 2:10pm
I guess there's no two-patch limit on Sony's games?
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-07-2009 at 2:23pm
I guess not.  I hear the mini-patch to fix highlights drops tomorrow.
Mike_S View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-07-2009 at 3:15pm
"My fifth starter..." - That's awesome, I love when lesser players play critical roles in season games.  It's one of the reason my franchise mode has been so fun.

"HH Pitch speed seems crazy slow now, though... is there a slider..."  Yes, there are sliders to change all the pitch speeds.  If you speed them up, it will change how well you hit the ball as well as how often you strike out, which may require some tuning on the Human Contact/Human Power/Human Contact Ease sliders to balance.  Additionally, it may change stolen base percentages, which can be balanced by the Human and CPU Catcher SB Throwing sliders.  Other than that, I think the rest of the game physics should work fine.  (BTW, this is an example of why I don't like to change many sliders -- changing one can affect so many others...)

Anyway, we got in two games last night, both against Tampa Bay at home.

First one: Carl Crawford led off the last of the first with an HR, but it was all downhill from there.  Barry Zito held us to 3 hits and Adam Eaton got absolutely rocked for the second straight time as Tampa won it 9-1.

Second one: Brad Penny gave up a 3R HR to A-Rod early, but was otherwise great through 6.2 innings.  We played small-ball and eeked out single runs in the 3rd, 5th, 6th, and 7th to take a 4-3 lead.   I gave Juan Pierre a random start and he knocked in 2 of the runs.  Then Steve Karsay, Eddie Guardado, and finally new closer Colby Lewis kept them down for the win.  The final batter hit a long fly-ball that looked gone but was caught at the wall to save the game -- similar to the end of the actual A's/Mariners game last night that I saw right before playing HH!! :-)

We're now at 4-10, still 5 GB in the East, one more game with Tampa left before Baltimore comes in.

All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-07-2009 at 3:28pm
One thing I always loved about High Heat (and it's true in '04) is how the batter's swing is tied 1:1 to how long you press the button, which makes check swings very natural.  I'm not sure it's a mechanic that works well with the kind of pitch speeds you see in The Show now, but it's cool.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-07-2009 at 6:53pm
Brandon Morrow pitches a 5 hit shutout, striking out 10 and walking 1 to lead the Mariners 5-0 over Texas.  We jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the top of the 1st after Brandon McCarthy walked the first two batters, the fourth batter and then gave up two hits.  He recovered and pitched two more innings before the Texas bullpen, for the most part, shut us down.  The final run came in the top of the 9th of an off the wall double by Jose Lopez that scored a run.  The simmed games to finish the Texas series results in an overall record of 19-16 as we return home to face Boston.  It will be Felix Hernandez v. Josh Beckett in our first meeting against an east coast team this season.
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-08-2009 at 9:34am
I had about 20 minutes before I had to hit the sack last night and did a really fun fantasy draft for the Pirates in High Heat.  At this point it looks like an All-Star team but taking into account when the game was made, a lot of dudes hadn't quite established themselves yet. 

CF Ichiro
2B Pokey Reese
LF Carlos Beltran
RF Andruw Jones
1B David Ortiz
3B Mike Lowell
SS Alex Cora
C Ramon Castro

...with guys like Placido Polanco, Todd Zeile, J.D. Drew and all-time fave Tsuyoshi Shinjo on the bench.  Starting rotation:

Roy Halladay
Johan Santana
Cliff Lee
Livan Hernandez

...and someone else who I forget.
Mike_S View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-08-2009 at 3:44pm
That looks cool.  You're definitely right that as of late 2002 when those rosters were finalized players were much different than they are now.  My first Sox team in my franchise had young Josh Beckett and young Jake Peavy, and they both were pretty bad.  I moved them.  Peavy is still bad, but Beckett has blossomed -- and of course now pitches for Tampa Bay, a division rival :-(

In our league: Jones is very good, Beltran is solid.  Ortiz is decent-at-best (kind of like real-life this season so far).   JD Drew beat me with a home run in a game last week and has good stats.  Halladay is very strong, Santana not so much. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 21>