Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Favorite Games of 2005
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFavorite Games of 2005

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message / View Unread Post
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Games of 2005
    Posted: 01-25-2006 at 9:03pm
Favorite Games of 2005
  • Football: NCAA Football 06 - this should not come as a surprise to anyone that visits SGN on a regular basis. I have enjoyed NCAA Football from the first day and consider it to be the most enjoyable football game I've played.
  • Baseball: MVP Baseball 2005 - EA Sports fixed almost every problem with MVP Baseball 2004 and created one of the best baseball and sports games of all time with MVP Baseball 2005. Never have I enjoyed fielding in a baseball game as much as I do in MVP 2005.
  • Basketball: NBA 2K6 (by default) - While NBA 2K6 is certainly a big improvement over NBA 2K5, I just never got into this game that much. I'm not sold on moving the Isomotion moves to the left analog stick and never liked the post up game. One thing can't be denied though, the graphics are great and the new drive camera was long overdue.
  • Hockey: NHL Hitz Pro - NHL Hitz Pro may not have been released in 2005 but my first time playing it was. The player physics are excellent, the gameplay is fun and the still-functioning online play is flawless. Decent graphics are just icing on the cake.
  • Soccer: Winning Eleven 8 - This was the year that I was introduced to the Winning Eleven series. The last soccer game I bought (and played) was the original FIFA on the Sega Genesis. I'm no soccer guru, but I do know a good game when I play one.
  • Fighting: Fight Night Round 2 - Here's another game that EA improved on from the previous year. I truely believe that this game has better graphics than any other sports game. The ability to clinch, punch and block while moving and the addition of real announcers make Fight Night 2004 unplayable in comparison. My recent jump into online play has only strengthened my opinion of this game.
  • Racing: NASCAR 2005: Race for the Cup - Yeah, I know I'm a year late with this choice, but it was a slow year for racers with me. What's nice is that the online component is still active and plays quite smooth and from what I've read, EA appears to have taken a step back with the latest version.
  • Non-Sports: Lego Star Wars - My son and I still play this game together (which I bought last May). Excellent graphics, simple-yet-fun gameplay and enjoyable for young kids are the main reasons this game is at the top of my non-sports list. A sequel based on the original trilogy is in the works too.
  • Biggest Comeback: MVP Baseball 2005 - It was a tough choice choosing between MVP Baseball 2005 and NCAA Football 2006. I decided to go with MVP because I felt that there was a bigger improvement from the previous year's version. I also took into account that this is a newer game engine that has really come together nicely. The fact that many people put MVP in the same class as High Heat was the final factor in my choice.
  • Biggest Disappointment: MLB Baseball 2K5 - After a stellar performance with ESPN Baseball 2K4, Visual Concepts switched developers and put out one of the most disappointing sports games that I can remember. Add in one of the worst fielding camersa in baseball game history and one of the most fundamentally sound baseball games (2K4) was ruined for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply