Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Any excitement for Fifa 10?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAny excitement for Fifa 10?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Legend
Legend

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any excitement for Fifa 10?
    Posted: 10-07-2009 at 6:08pm
I know I will be getting this ASAP.  Good reviews so far and the demo seemed fine to me.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-07-2009 at 7:48pm

It's really good, but it'd be better if bits of it weren't kind of broken.

One of the issues being raised in the early stages with this game, one that's present in the demo too, relates to the ease with which goalkeepers can be chipped now that they come off their line more aggressively.  This post lifted from DSP spends a lot of time addressing that and a couple of strange niggly faults, then a little time at the end briefly addressing the good stuff, so please feel free to ask more if there's anything more you want to know.  I'm also having to link to the videos because I cannot for the life of me work out how to embed them here - have your EA Sports World account at the ready:

Regarding the chipping of goalkeepers, a few videos for you, all with Hartlepool United on World Class difficulty with my fists of ham at the controls.  Try this, Adam Boyd against Charlton, for starters:

http://www.easportsfootball.co.uk/media/play/video/10527888

They're an easy target from a bit closer in too, as demonstrated by my Virtual Pro, and lesson in why you should never name players after a few lagers, Krazi de la Horso:

http://www.easportsfootball.co.uk/media/play/video/10531127

You can do much the same thing from a straighter position, flighting the ball lower than that to clear a keeper diving at your feet.  Still not sold?  How about this from the always pronounceable Armann Bjornsson, knocking in an 89th minute winner against Leeds United (an idea we can all get behind, yes?) that I messed up a little but the Russian linesman gave anyway:

http://www.easportsfootball.co.uk/media/play/video/10526363

This doesn't count, really, but it's going in anyway.  David Foley against Leyton Orient:

http://www.easportsfootball.co.uk/media/play/video/10529555

The point of interest here, one you'd see much more clearly from one of the many other cameras I viewed this replay from, isn't that I've accidentally scored straight from a corner, but that the ball has gone straight through the goalkeeper's hands.  Not straight through in an oh look, it's David James kind of way.  Straight through in a hologrammatic kind of way.

The chips are a sample of the goals I scored in one session of 7 or 8 games.  I'd already scored a few similar goals when the thought occurred to me that if I recorded them, you could see them instead of having to try to picture them from what I said.  Whenever you're clean in and the goalkeeper is advancing, he's ripe for chipping as long as you're not off balance or stretching to reach the ball - and sometimes if you are, as the Boyd video shows - and I haven't yet found a position on the pitch or a distance from goal that counts as an exception to that.

What I'm afraid I couldn't record for posterity was the moment in Manager mode when my new left-back, signed only two games before, disappeared.  Literally vanished from the squad.  He just isn't there.  I also can't quite fathom how my goalkeeper can keep a clean sheet, make crucial late saves to win me the match and suffer a loss in form and stats for the next match, but there we are.  Doubtless there's some logic to it.

I sound like I'm whining, and...well, I am, but to focus completely on that would be to ignore a few things.  The chipping goalkeepers issue isn't one you'll always see, because it relies on you being one-on-one with him and because you'll inevitably mess up the shot every so often (note also that sometimes you'll hit it perfectly and it'll still drift wide or hit the post.  Not often, but sometimes), and the game generally is the most fun I've had with any football game.  The way the players interact with each other, what feels like a better working of the advantage rule, the realisation that if I'm sliding to block a shot and catch the man after he shoots it's not a penalty, free kicks I can make some sense of (oh, and creating your own is fun though it's too early for me to tell if it makes any difference, or how it could be exploited), the tighter control - it's a step on from last year pretty much everywhere on the pitch.

I only pay attention to the basics, though, so I haven't noticed any great changes since the demo and may well be missing something gamebreaking that others will tidy up at some stage - there are things written in deep demo analysis elsewhere that I still can't spot, even now, even if I look for them, so consider yourselves fairly briefed...

GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-07-2009 at 7:53pm
Oh, and if you've no idea what the 'Russian linesman' bit refers to, go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966_FIFA_World_Cup_Final#Controversial_third_England_goal_in_extra_time and continue your footballing education, Sirs. 
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-07-2009 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by GB_Simo

niggly faults

Thank heavens for the internet

http://urbansemiotic.com/2007/10/05/the-definition-of-nigger-niggle-niggly/

Otherwise I would have had to of gone all

Wink

Good stuff Adam, even though I did not understand half of it. Embarrassed

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-07-2009 at 9:21pm
I didn't realize the demo was out already. I'll have to check it out.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-08-2009 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by JasonSGN

I downloaded the demo this morning and will check it out tonight.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-08-2009 at 1:20pm

I downloaded the demo this morning and will check it out tonight.

To ensure proper enjoyment of the demo... Do NOT play with the Chicago Fire.  Play AGAINST the Chicago Fire.

petes-24 View Drop Down
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post Options Post Options   Quote petes-24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-08-2009 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by GB_Simo

Oh, and if you've no idea what the 'Russian linesman' bit refers to, go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966_FIFA_World_Cup_Final#Controversial_third_England_goal_in_extra_time and continue your footballing education, Sirs. 

Do I recall correctly that you are playing on a PS3 and not a 360?  Would be interested in any reasonable online opponents, as random match-ups are tedious and peurile.  I miss the WE/PES days when Ted was on PS2!

Pete
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-08-2009 at 2:52pm
Hey Pete!  How have you been?  Nice to see you again!
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-08-2009 at 3:04pm
Ted's the biggest online cheeser I know Wink.

Good to see you around again Pete.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>