Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Forza 3
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedForza 3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forza 3
    Posted: 11-17-2009 at 9:33am
I gave in and ordered Forza 3 from Amazon this morning. The $51.99 price with an additional $10 off (credit I had from a previous purchase) made it impossible for me not to buy for it $42. I enjoyed the demo and heard good things about the online play, and I'm on a racing-game kick recently.

Does anyone know if purchased tracks for Forza 2 will work with Forza 3?
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-17-2009 at 11:35am
I'm pretty sure they won't, Jason.

I'm on that same racing-kick too.  You need Indy 500 Evolution next now... :)

TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-17-2009 at 1:17pm
I'll put it in the GF que.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-17-2009 at 6:09pm
Derek, are you enjoying Forza 3?

I only had 1 Forza 2 track (Roadside America?) that I got for 100 points, so it's no biggie that I can't use that track in Forza 3.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-17-2009 at 9:38pm
Microsoft and Turn 10 are giving back to fans who picked up a copy of Forza Motorsport 3. Later next week, the free "Hyundai Genesis Coupe Car Pack" will be made available for download, and a couple of weeks after that the Hot Holidays Car Pack will launch.

Some more details below.

After launching to universal fan and critical acclaim on Oct. 27, the "Forza Motorsport 3" engine is still firing on all cylinders as today marks the release of the "Hyundai Genesis Coupe Car Pack," downloadable for free on Xbox LIVE Marketplace. Additionally, Turn 10 and Microsoft are giving fans even more reasons to celebrate with the "Hot Holidays Car Pack" Game Add-on, including 10 late-model year cars available on Dec. 8.

The "Hyundai Genesis Coupe Car Pack," now available for free on Xbox LIVE Marketplace, includes the Rhys Millen Racing Red Bull Hyundai Genesis Coupe, the HKS Genesis Coupe, and a one-of-a-kind "Forza Motorsport 3" Genesis Coupe. Now fans have the opportunity to expand their already-epic "Forza Motorsport 3" car rosters and experience for themselves several iconic variations of the 300-horsepower Genesis Coupe.

The "Hot Holidays Car Pack," releasing Dec. 8 for 400 Microsoft points, will feature some of the world's most anticipated super cars and purpose-built race cars of 2010, including the recently unveiled Ferrari 458 Italia. To give players a taste of the "Hot Holidays Car Pack," the brand new 2010 Audi S4 will be available as a free download.

Since each of the vehicles in the "Hot Holidays Car Pack" comes with its own fanfare and unique place in motorsports' present and future, the team at Turn 10 will be unveiling and diving deeper into each car over the next two weeks on Forzamotorsport.net. Auto aficionados should be sure to tune in for daily photo trivia contests to guess the model, make, and year of each car, with the chance to win real prizes and other in-game rewards within "Forza Motorsport 3." Check Forzamotorsport.net for more info on this and all future Game Add-on news.

Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-17-2009 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by JasonSGN

Derek, are you enjoying Forza 3?

I only had 1 Forza 2 track (Roadside America?) that I got for 100 points, so it's no biggie that I can't use that track in Forza 3.

The feel of the car on the road is great, but I'm not a fan of the AI racers, or the fact that the best (and easily most effective) way to win early on is slamming your way through them and using them as cornering aids.  I never understand why these car-collecting games don't make you pay for that sort of driving like Indy, Shift, etc...
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-19-2009 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by Derek

The feel of the car on the road is great, but I'm not a fan of the AI racers, or the fact that the best (and easily most effective) way to win early on is slamming your way through them and using them as cornering aids.  I never understand why these car-collecting games don't make you pay for that sort of driving like Indy, Shift, etc...

Pay in what way?  I took on enough damage in a Maserati last night (for reasons that escape me now, I'd decided that I was going to win regardless of the fact that there were two corners left and the leader was 50 yards ahead.  It wasn't all that pretty, if I'm honest) that I could barely stagger to the line ahead of the pack.  The more standard tippy-tappy action you'll get if you nudge them more gently doesn't bring a great penalty, sure, but then again, have a look at these two...

Sound is a bit out of sync, but you get the idea.

It gets more of a pass from me than it does from you, because a) there is an awful lot of contact when the cars seen in Forza's earlier classes go racing in real life and because b) whether it is the most effective way or not, it is quite possible to beat the AI without doing it, even in those early races - we all pull the odd bump and run, but the game isn't making me do it in this instance.

You could police it with warning flags like ToCA Race Driver 3 did, but then you'd have to make sure you didn't completely mess it up like that game did, and in doing so find a way of judging whether contact was deliberate or just unfortunate...

I love the AI.  As long as they know I'm there, they give me room.  They defend their position, they try to take mine from me and when they don't give me room, it's a result of me doing something silly; if I lunge at them from miles back, they won't realise I'm coming and will turn in on me, which is exactly what should happen.  I watched a replay of a race last night and had to save it because what I was watching impressed me so much - passing, repassing, fair hard racing and one desperate lunge each, and it looked like a real motor race.  I would be interested to learn what it is about them that's turned you off them.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-20-2009 at 9:30am
My copy should arrive tomorrow (maybe even today). I'm anxious to try this one with the wheel. Terry Crouch at OS was saying how great Forza 3 worked with the MS Wheel.
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-20-2009 at 11:39am
Maybe damage that can cost you the race comes later, Adam, (I've just started running B cars) but I've had some demolition-derby type big corner slams that leave me with nothing but a 'yellow' bumper and my opposition off the road.  Good to hear that that might change.

Maybe I'll have more evidence of the AI behavior as I progress as well, because right now the AI pretty much stays in a line on the line except for the 1 or 2 car AI leaders.

I plan on keeping playing.  Hopefully things will start getting more racy soon!
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-20-2009 at 6:01pm

Derek, there've been big old gaps between my Forza sessions so I'm only just finishing season 2 and only just getting into B class cars myself.  I don't think I'm any further into the game, but then again there's a lot about the game you're experiencing that I don't recognise, and I'm buggered if I can work out why that should be.

It shouldn't matter, but what level do you have the AI at?  They should all have the same basic behaviours, of course, but you never know...I'm racing the Hard AI.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>