Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: World of Outlaws: Sprint Cars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWorld of Outlaws: Sprint Cars

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: World of Outlaws: Sprint Cars
    Posted: 02-27-2010 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by TedSGN

Gamefly copy arrived.

Looking forward to hearing what you think of it.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-28-2010 at 2:04am
Probably going back pretty quickly.  I know it looks better than the PS2 version, but it does not look good.  It's not an HD game I think.  It drives horribly with the wheel.  You turn the wheel halfway before the front wheels start to move.  I'm not talking about car starting to turn.....the wheels don't physically rotate until halfway and then they rotate very quickly so it makes steering difficult.

There is quite a bit of stutter when there is traffic and especially in the turns.  This can be a game breaker because at the 24 car fields it is hard to maneuver because you have to slide through the turns.  Stutter makes it very difficult to not over control during these times.

I'd recommend only to hardcore fans of sprint cars.  Even at $20.

I honestly think the PS2 version is a better game and probably not much worse looking.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-28-2010 at 10:26am
What a shame. I realize it's a low-budget game, but they should've put some effort into the game.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-28-2010 at 5:28pm
If it was more responsive on the controls I could live with the graphics.  Jake played it about 2 hours last night.  His response was it was OK, but not good.  He was winning races pretty easy.
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-01-2010 at 7:18pm
Ted, is Jake doing that in Career mode?  Waiting for my import copy to arrive so I've no direct input to offer, but the impressions I've read elsewhere suggest that for some reason Career starts off very easy and ramps up later on.  The challenge, apparently, is to be found in the Arcade mode, which in fact isn't an arcade mode at all.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-01-2010 at 7:25pm
Adam,

Jake's experience is in career mode and Derek said he experienced the same thing.  I really like sprint cars and that style of racing. but this one just doesn't do it for me.  I loved PS2 WoO and this is just missing the character that that one had, at least for me.

By the time Jake finished his best laps were two seconds faster than the next fastest AI and he wasn't tweaking in the garage.  He had also never raced sprint cars before.  I don't think that is actually a black mark because if the difficulty ramps up as you advance that is fine.  It's just the way it is.  My dislike of the game has everything to do with the controls and the fact that there are better racing experiences with alternative titles.

Hope you like it though.
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-01-2010 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by TedSGN

I don't think that is actually a black mark because if the difficulty ramps up as you advance that is fine.  It's just the way it is.  My dislike of the game has everything to do with the controls and the fact that there are better racing experiences with alternative titles.

Hope you like it though.

I'm a bit troubled by your control worries but looking forward to it all the same.  Still got PS2 WoO (very rare here and I'll never part with it, though my back-compat PS3 lies dormant while I wait for them to sort that strange clock issue they're apparently having) and it controls more loosely than I remember, though even with a new DualShock everything controls more loosely than I remember.  I was hoping using the 360 controller might tighten things up a bit.

I'm a bit torn on the difficulty thing.  I'd sooner it was user-defined, but I can see the logic in having it ramp up.  It's looking a lot like Indy Evolution is cancelled here now (no reply from the dev team, lots of places withdrawing it from their listings) so this and NASCAR 09 will have to do as a US racing fix.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-01-2010 at 8:13pm
Let me add to that by saying my problem with the controls is with the wheel.  Jake didn't seem to have any trouble driving with the xbox controller, but I don't like driving with the controller so that is on me.

What I loved about the PS2 controls was that throttle was on the right stick and since turning is as much about goosing the accelerator as it is about countersteering with sprint cars, the PS2 controls always felt very natural to me with WoO. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12