Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: FIFA World Cup 2010 Demo?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFIFA World Cup 2010 Demo?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FIFA World Cup 2010 Demo?
    Posted: 05-22-2010 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by K_Mosley

Why, Adam, if you don't mind me asking?

I'd like to know why too. The one thing I realized is that the 360 degree movement makes the game move MUCH better than UEFA 2008. I can't go back to the 8-directional movements of the older versions now.
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-23-2010 at 2:33pm
You'll not believe this, and I'm sure Kevin will be dumbfounded given the number of Simpson-penned match reports he's read over the years, but I reached the conclusion that I don't like football enough to persevere with it.

There's nothing wrong with WC2010 at all - plenty of good things on show, in fact, including some tweaks to passing and heading, along with the return of the scenario mode from Euro 2008 - but unlike Euro 2008, which was a markedly better football game than the FIFA that came before it, WC2010 isn't that different to FIFA 10, and the lure of taking England to glory isn't anything like enough for me to justify keeping it around.

The other day I downloaded the demo of SBK X, the latest World Superbike racing game.  It's very similar to SBK 09 in a lot of ways, but being fairly well tuned in to how motor vehicles behave, I can recognise the subtle differences; you have to use the rear brake a little differently this year, the bikes are a tiny bit weightier, that kind of thing.  World Cup 2010 probably has a million subtleties separating it from FIFA 10, but where my footy games are concerned I need the changes to be obvious these days, and what works in FIFA seems to work exactly as well here...

One other thing, and whisper this: I happen to prefer Pro Evo this year.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-23-2010 at 5:34pm
"One other thing, and whisper this: I happen to prefer Pro Evo this year."

Is the full game any better than the demo? I just could not get into it, maybe because I am a license whore or the fact the players seem to be running on rails (I noticed that was still there in the reviews of the final game).

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-23-2010 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by Brent

I just could not get into it, maybe because I am a license whore or the fact the players seem to be running on rails (I noticed that was still there in the reviews of the final game).

I feel the exact opposite - all the older versions felt like the players were running on rails while this one doesn't feel that way at all.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-24-2010 at 12:31am
Are you taking about Fifa?  I was referring to Pro Evolution.

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-24-2010 at 8:11am

Are you taking about Fifa?  I was referring to Pro Evolution.

Oh, I was talking about FIFA.
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-24-2010 at 1:56pm

Is the full game any better than the demo? I just could not get into it, maybe because I am a license whore or the fact the players seem to be running on rails (I noticed that was still there in the reviews of the final game).

I thought the demo was bloody awful.  Horribly stop-start, with no flow, leaden movement and a ridiculously heavy ball.  The full game reminds me a lot of Pro Evo in its PS2 heyday.  In truth, it's like a cross between 4 and 5, instantly familiar rather than any kind of leap forward, but it's more like football to me than FIFA 10 which (and say this even more quietly) I found a bit of a step back from 09 after extended play...

Edit: Yes, they're still on rails.  I've no idea why that doesn't matter to me.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-27-2010 at 5:08pm
I have to say I love the new player control motion. It makes moving around a defender much easier. For some reason it feels different than Fifa 10 but that could be the limited amount of time I had Fifa 10 and I was playing it on the PS3.

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-29-2010 at 11:17pm
Brent, would you recommend World Cup 2010 now that you've had it for a few days?
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-30-2010 at 8:23pm
Price has already dropped to $49.99 at most places. I am running through the Full mode (friendly's, qualifying and WC) right now with the USA and have a win over Mexico (friendly) and blasted Guatamala to win my first qualifying match. My only complaint is the qualifying for CONCACAF starts at the third round, so you do not get the full qualifying experience.

I guess it really boils down to how much you enjoy the World cup. With all the Fifa's you can make a tournament using the World cup teams, you just lose all the presentation that goes along with it. For me it is a great placeholder until Fifa 11 hits in October.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>