Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: F1: Media & Info
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedF1: Media & Info

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
MVP
MVP

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: F1: Media & Info
    Posted: 09-29-2010 at 3:00pm
I've been reading other articles that say there are major problems with the AI.
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-30-2010 at 6:31pm
There is nothing wrong with the AI.  That's pretty much all I can offer on that one without launching into a rant at the self-important berks, particularly on the Codemasters official forum, identifying tiny niggling issues that don't affect the playability of the game and turning them into the biggest drama since the Soviet advance on Berlin.

There are bugs, yes.  The great majority of them don't cause any major issues, and the couple that are worse than that have done nothing to spoil my enjoyment of what is fundamentally a very, very good racing game.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-30-2010 at 7:45pm
I was referring to an article at RPS that stated the AI doesn't race each other.  They are just cars that get in your way and that the end results of the race don't reflect what happens during the race. 

Are you seeing any of that?
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-30-2010 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by TedSGN

I was referring to an article at RPS that stated the AI doesn't race each other.  They are just cars that get in your way and that the end results of the race don't reflect what happens during the race. 

Are you seeing any of that?

That's utter, utter, utter tripe.  I can't begin to imagine which game the author of that article is playing.  The AI cars race each other in exactly the way they race you.  They defend position from each other.  They attack where appropriate.  They're more than capable of running side-by-side for a few corners at a time without clanging needlessly into each other but they do clang needlessly into each other every so often, in a thoroughly believable sort of a way.

AI is the one thing I'm forever picking up on when I talk about racing games, because I've done enough racing, both virtual and real, to feel that I can offer a halfway meaningful opinion.  The AI in F1 2010 is, in my experience, very good.  Have I mentioned that the quoted assertion from RPS is utter, utter, utter tripe?
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-30-2010 at 8:03pm
Oh!  There is, I believe, a bug which means the race results screen occasionally shows your car in a position much higher than the one you actually finished in.  This - and it takes only a modicum of intelligence to work this out, but wherever you see F1 2010 discussed you'll be dealing with people who are too busy shouting to engage their brains for a second or two - isn't an AI issue.  By and large, their finishing position on the track is reflected in the final race results screen, and where it isn't, it's a reporting issue.

I should point out that I'm yet to see this bug once.  It very clearly exists, because it would be quite something if a huge number of gamers were just making it up, but I haven't actually had it.  Everything I've seen on my race results has been a fair, accurate report of the race I've just been involved in. 
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-30-2010 at 8:17pm
I enjoyed that.  Might have warmed to my theme a little there.

One last point on the AI.  In my first ever race, in a Sauber at Spa, I was engaged in a titanic battle for, um, 14th place in the late stages of the race.  Alguersuari and Alonso were side-by-side going into the final chicane (I've no idea why Alonso was so far back in a Ferrari, but I do know that moments earlier, he'd driven past me as if I wasn't moving) and, spying an opportunity for profit at low cost, I tried to sneak up on the inside.  As we entered the turn, Alonso seemed to realise that 3 into 1 didn't fit and lifted, ready for another day.  Alguersuari stayed alongside me, managing to hold the inside line for the second part of the chicane.

I was quite unprepared for this, because I know how these things work and I know you can always bully the AI out of the way if you try hard enough.  I tried to put the squeeze on Alguersuari and edge him towards the inside kerb, knowing full well that he'd back off and the position would be mine.  It was therefore with some surprise that I found myself, halfway through the second part of the chicane, being thoroughly outmuscled to the point that I got a bit keen on the go pedal trying to recover my ground and had a silly little spin.  Recovering from that, I had a squint up the track and saw Alonso, benefiting from having a) taken the ideal line through the chicane and b) remained on the racetrack pointing the right way, sliding past Alguersuari up the inside into the hairpin at the start of the next lap.

That impressed me, just as watching Jarno Trulli booming past half the world on the first lap had impressed me, and watching from distance as Massa and Button contrived to make a thorough pig's ear of giving each other racing room gave me some enjoyment...
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-30-2010 at 9:30pm
Adam, I'd take your opinion on a racing game any day over a website or a mob so thanks for clearing that up.  This will be a PC title for me and I'll probably wait for a future Steam sale on it.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-03-2010 at 10:04am
http://community.codemasters.com/forum/f1-2010-game-1316/433396-ai-issues-response.html

Admits and clears up quite a few things.  I'm still interested in this eventually.
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-03-2010 at 6:50pm
I read that post a few days ago and enjoyed it immensely, hoping it'd go some way to hushing those who are convinced F1 2010 is broken.  I'm saddened, though not in any way shocked, to note that elsewhere on the official forums the same pack of halfwits are still leaping to frankly baffling conclusions over pretty much every aspect of the game.

I've spoken to people who swear blind that the AI isn't affected by fuel consumption in the opening laps of the race.  Their basis for this is that when they're playing, they make a worse start than the AI and then can't keep up in the early laps.  What's actually happening is that they're making a poor start and then making a mess of the early laps on heavy fuel.  I know that because I've done that.  I don't do it every time, though, and it's not the game's fault when I mess up any more than it's the game responsible for me getting it right.

The starts are actually very well done - there are AI drivers who habitually start well, drivers who don't, occasionally someone will get an absolute flyer and come streaking past from nowhere and in the middle of all that noise and confusion, there's you trying to figure out what's going on.  There's a genuine sense that you're in the middle of an event, and a very natural feel to everything - the closest comparison I can draw is with NASCAR 09, which (for the most part, on most circuits) did a great job of putting us all into the thick of the opening laps of a stock car race.

That qualifying AI people have been harping on about?  They aren't really there, the times don't represent what's happening on the track?  It doesn't matter, because you're not racing them as much as you're in a time trial with them, and their physical presence not matching the scoreboard prevents you from corrupting the result.  Say it's you vs Vettel for the title, it's gone to the last round, you've put in a lap time early in qualifying that looks good and suddenly there's Vettel in your mirrors.  You slow down, block him, he qualifies last and you might as well lift the trophy now...except that managing qualifying in this way prevents you from doing that, and as long as the times are believable, it makes no difference.

This has been the case with pretty much every F1 game I've ever played - I'm sure there are games that have had 'proper' AI for qualifying but I couldn't immediately name them - yet I don't recall it mattering before.  Funny, that...
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-04-2010 at 2:55pm
From the SimHQ review

http://www.simhq.com/_motorsports5/motorsports_155a.html

What we Liked:

• Beautiful graphics although the HDR, bloom and filter effects to our eyes seem a bit overdone
  • Accurate, as far as we can tell, renditions of all the circuits in the 2010 F1 calender, even Korea which might not even host a race in 2010 due to the unfinished state of the track
  • Populated circuits with fans, mechanics in the garage and pit-crew during pit stops
  • Race-able, and adjustable AI
  • Depth if simulation in certain aspects of the game; i.e. management of tire sets, management of engines, pit-stop strategy
  • Track “rubbers in” as the weekend progresses
  • Tires pick up gravel and dirt
  • Good visual damage effects
  • “Meet the Press” although a bit limited quite fun
  • Immersive
  • Fun

Could be Better:

• Long loading times (especially on the PC with marginal RAM)
  • Skimpy, irrelevant manual not helping the newbie racer and not covering important game options
  • AI on screen are not driving corresponding to the times they allegedly post in practice and qualifying (we wonder; won't this also be the case in races?)
  • Doubts as to whether the AI make pitstops
  • Lollipopman won't let you out of your pit stall until everyone else pitting has gone by
  • Automated exit from pit-box
  • Pit-in looks very artificial and is computer controlled
  • Pit-out is largely computer controlled
  • Race Engineer is often talking nonsense or butting in with trivial or irrelevant information, makes you disregard everything he says as as potential wrong or misleading
  • No proper replays
  • No import/export of setups
  • Not even basic telemetry
  • Driving physics initially not very satisfying, takes getting used to
  • Force feed back effects in terms of conveying under-/oversteer and car reactions to bumps could be developed
  • Sounds. Just doesn't send a chill down your spine
  • Multiplayer is very basic
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>