Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Madden 11 Demo Impressions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMadden 11 Demo Impressions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Legend
Legend

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Madden 11 Demo Impressions
    Posted: 07-28-2010 at 12:45pm
The Good:

While Gus can be a bit over the top, anything is better than Tom Hammond.

I have noticed a few new animations that looked really good that are not in NCAA 11 or I have yet to see them.

The Bad:

Strategy pad. What is this Mortal Combat? It is like you have to memorize combos just to get it a few changes. It also does not help when you are playing Indy and Peyton Manning of all people is getting plays snapped just seconds after getting lined up.

Gameflow:  Sorry, just not buying into it. At it's base it is "Ask Madden" with the ability to change plays and create your own personal version of "Ask Yourself."

The Ugly:

The new kicking meter. Only EA could find a way to make kicking even easier, when the consumer base is wanting something more difficult.

No progressive lighting. Again.

The Reality:

No Madden for me this year. Sorry Jason but this one is all yours. Amazon preorder is gone like the wind. It is like a dumbed down version of NCAA 11 with less atmosphere.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
koebner View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote koebner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-28-2010 at 4:20pm
I think the Gameflow cpu calls are better on offense than defense,at least for my style.

I checked out of a few offensive plays in my first game,but s-canned the defensive co-ordinator after two drives.
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-28-2010 at 6:33pm
I like Gus a lot.  We don't have anyone quite like that here and haven't since Murray Walker retired from F1 duty, with the possible exception of darts commentator Sid Waddell:

Being from broadly the same part of the world as Sid, I can understand what he's saying.  I wish you the very best of luck.  I haven't watched the whole thing so don't know if it contains the all-time classic, "When Alexander of Macedonia was 33 he cried salt tears because there were no more worlds to conquer.  Eric Bristow's only 27."

What?  Oh yes, Madden.  I'm caught somewhere between bemused and dismayed at the appearance of the kicking meter.  The way they've presented it I didn't immediately think of the old Madden games, but of PGA Tour Golf.  At least with the PGA games I could completely shank it if I got my timing wrong, which doesn't seem to be the case here.

Even I'm going to have to go to at least All-Pro to get a decent game out of the AI.  As the Jets last night, the Colts had no answer for my running game and most of the incomplete passes were down to my own inadequacies rather than any great defensive work.  Quite a lot of the defensive work looks fascinating, to say the least - I'm still waiting to see my first holding call, though I see wide receivers being subjected to a fairly physical assault every couple of plays.

I like the running game a lot better, but I liked it a lot better in the NCAA demo too so nothing to wow me there.  Nothing to wow me with at all, in fact, but it does feel like an advance on Madden 10, and since the pro games are all we get over here (officially, at any rate), that's as much as we can hope for.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-28-2010 at 6:36pm
I already canceled my release-day shipping. I'm still debating about canceling my order completely.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-28-2010 at 7:03pm
The game looks so much better using the "Zoomed" camera:

Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-28-2010 at 7:46pm
I wish they could patch in the zoomed camera angle in NCAA.  It really is not that bad on a running play in NCAA as it zooms in. That said it just feels to far away at the start of the play. I like up close and personal. Just not "Backbreaker" up close and a personal.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-31-2010 at 9:03am
Well, EA has heard the complaints and will patch in the old button-style pre-play commands "due to the overwhelming feedback".

Full Madden Blog Article

I'm personally not a hater of the Strategy Pad. My only issue with it is that going back and forth between playing NCAA and Madden becomes a little tricky.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-01-2010 at 7:36pm
I must admit that the strategy pad is really starting to grow on me. It's a shame that it got such a bad rep before really getting a fair chance.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-04-2010 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by JasonSGN

I already canceled my release-day shipping. I'm still debating about canceling my order completely.

I changed my order back to release-day shipping. Brent, you indecisiveness is rubbing off on me.
koebner View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote koebner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-05-2010 at 3:46pm
I'm getting tempted;Gamestop will give 40 bones for TW10 and Fight Night 4 towards Madden.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>