Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: NPD November 2010
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNPD November 2010

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Legend
Legend

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NPD November 2010
    Posted: 12-10-2010 at 1:16am
From Neogaf

5- week month; reporting period 10/31/10 through 11/27/10

Top 10 Games (New Physical Retail only; across all platforms incl. PC)

01. Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, Wii, PC, NDS) ACTIVISION BLIZZARD ** - 8.4 Million
02. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (360, PS3) UBISOFT ** - 1.14 Million
03. Just Dance 2 (Wii) UBISOFT
04. Madden NFL 11 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP) ELECTRONIC ARTS
05. Fable III (360) MICROSOFT**
06. Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii) NINTENDO - 430.5K
07. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (PS3, 360, Wii, PC) ELECTRONIC ARTS
08. Gran Turismo 5 (PS3) SONY** - 400K
09. NBA 2K11 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP,PC) TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE
10. Wii Fit Plus (Wii) NINTENDO**

*NPD's monthly point-of-sale data reports on U.S. Games Industry Sales occurring from new physical purchases at retail which is the largest channel for games sales, but it does not represent 100% of industry sales; it does not account for consumer purchases made via digital distribution, used game sales, subscriptions, mobile game apps, rentals, or social network games.

**(includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)

Hardware:

Nintendo DS: 1.5 Million (-11.8%)
Xbox 360: 1.37 Million (+68%)
Wii: 1.27 Million (+0.8%)
PS3: 530k (-25%)

Originally Posted by Miladesn:
Major Nelson
Quote:
# November marks the sixth consecutive month Xbox 360 leads video game consoles in sales, with 1.37 million units sold. (Source: NPD Group, November 2010)
# Xbox 360 is the only console to show double digit year-to-date growth at 42%, making it the fastest-growing console in 2010. (Source: NPD Group, November 2010)
# 50% of spending at retail this November (for current generation consoles) was on the Xbox 360 platform. (Source: NPD Group, November 2010)
# During the month of November, four of the top ten console game titles were for Xbox 360 including: Call of Duty: Black Ops, Fable III, Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood, and Halo: Reach. (Source: NPD Group,

Originally Posted by NPD's Anita Frazier:
Overall

"November sales represent the best November on record in terms of new physical retail sales. It bests November 2008 by roughly $30 million, and that time frame was at the height of the music/dance genre sales."

"All categories were up over last year with the exception of portable hardware and software."

"The 360 platform accounted for over 40% of total industry sales driven by the successful launch of Microsoft's Kinect. Xbox 360 accessories accounted for 60% of that categories' dollar sales this month."

"Based on typical seasonality trends, new physical retail sales should come in between $18.8B-$19.6B. The higher end of that range would essentially be flat to last year. Gains in November offset a good portion of the year-to-date declines."

"Remember that this data set represents new physical retail sales only. We have begun to report on sales realized through other channels such as used game sales, digital distribution and mobile apps among others. In the first half of 2010, new physical retail sales at the total industry level accounted for approximately 70% of the total consumer spend against the industry, and while that is likely to change when full year results are tabulated, it gives some context with which to evaluate the portion that new physical retail sales represents."

Software

"Black Ops debuted as the best-selling game in its launch month (in history) with black ops selling 8.4 million units at retail in the U.S. With only one month of sales, it has become the 7th best-selling game of all time, life-to-date."

"Black Ops accounted for 25% of all video game software units sold in the month of November."

"The Music/Dance genre increased 38% in unit sales over last November fueled by Just Dance 2 and Dance Central."

"We are now reporting sales at the total platform level instead of the SKU level but if we were reporting the top 10 SKU's, Halo: Reach would have been #10 this month."

Hardware

"The Xbox 360 was the best-selling console hardware system for the month, realizing an incredible 68% increase over last November."

"The best-selling system overall was the Nintendo DS. It was a high/low story for the DS this month with the new red SKU providing the most sales and the white, lower-priced SKU being #2. It appears the DS attracted two pockets of consumers: those looking for a unique limited-edition product and those looking for value."

"We expect a big jump in sales in November due to seasonality and the influence of holiday, but the change this November over October is bigger across most platforms than it was last November. This could point to the impact of aggressive retail promotions during the critical Black Friday week."

Accessories

"The Xbox 360 Kinect was the best-selling accessory item in November. With one month of sales, it's the top-selling accessory item in terms of dollar sales on a year-to-date basis."

"The Xbox 360 platform contributed five of the top ten accessory items for the month."

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
koebner View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote koebner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-10-2010 at 9:38am
The BLOPS numbers are insane.
GT5 sold well for the 3 days it was available in this period.
K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-10-2010 at 9:58pm
I bought BLOPS...  For my son.  It's a Christmas gift.  He has COD 2, and I'll let him play online with my tag if he mutes the people he doesn't know.  Now, 90% of his friends are playing Black Ops, so I guess he needs it to get in the game with them!

Kevin
koebner View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote koebner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-11-2010 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by K_Mosley

I bought BLOPS...  For my son.  It's a Christmas gift.  He has COD 2, and I'll let him play online with my tag if he mutes the people he doesn't know.  Now, 90% of his friends are playing Black Ops, so I guess he needs it to get in the game with them!

Kevin

Do you mean Modern Warfare 2 or Call of Duty 2?
COD2 is a good,non-frenetic shooter.4 vs. 4 on big maps.
If you can find a decent room,it can be quite good.
K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-11-2010 at 10:47pm
Sorry - I mean Modern Warefare.  I don't play a ton of FPS's anymore, but it looks pretty cool.  Lots of players online with it...

Kevin
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-12-2010 at 12:04am
I will be contributing to Microsoft's December numbers since I just ordered a new Xbox Slim with a 250GB hard drive (no Kinect for me). I've been wanting to get a larger hard drive for a while and the new Xbox consoles are just so slick looking, so I decided to treat myself to it after making some money on side work. My kids are excited because they'll get my current console as their own. My son is starting to out-grow the games on the Wii, so it'll be a nice addition for him.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-12-2010 at 12:50am

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-12-2010 at 9:01am
It was down to $39.99 last week.
 Post Reply Post Reply