Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Fight Night Round 2 Revisited
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFight Night Round 2 Revisited

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message / View Unread Post
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fight Night Round 2 Revisited
    Posted: 01-27-2006 at 10:14am

Now that I've had more than a handful of matches of Fight Night Round 2 online against Ted, I wanted to post some updated opinions on the game:

First, alot of reviewers and gamers complained about the 'Haymaker' being too powerful and ruining the balance of the gameplay. I could NOT agree with this less. In all of the matches I've had against Ted, I've only knocked him to the canvas once (and never knocked him out) and I land at least 50 clean 'Haymakers' a fight. These punches are most effective in opening cuts and knocking someone down once their stamina is gone. Like real boxing, combos and defense are the keys to victory.

Two, this game plays great online (PS2). Once or twice a match the game will freeze and a 'Trying to connect to opponent' message will appear, but it will vanish in a second or two and not cause any problem with the gameplay. Also, I haven't noticed any noticeable lag during the fights.

Finally, alot of people complained about the number of times guys get up from knockdowns. Most felt that every fighter got up 3 times and stayed down on the fourth knockdown. While I've seen this to be true offline, it does NOT happen online. I been knocked down once and haven't gotten up (auto-recovery) during some fights. I really like the randomness of this feature online.

This game truely requires a sound strategy and rewards players that fight the correct way. This game has provided me with some of the best online gaming moments I've had.

TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-27-2006 at 2:19pm
Agree with everything here and will add that against online opponents it is a must to take advantage of your fighter's strengths and defend his weaknesses while exploiting your opponents weaknesses.

I'm enjoying this one online just as much.
K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-28-2006 at 1:32pm

Just started playing this one...  I had fun creating my fighter and launching my career!

My alter-ego even has a tattoo - something I wouldn't ever do in real life! 

Seriously, I see the improvements over FN1 - especially with the defense and clinching.  I like what I've played so far.

Kevin

TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-30-2006 at 6:49pm
Hey Kev,

I still have my FNR2 copy on my xbox.  If you want to take it online for a spin, I'd enjoy punching you in the face
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-30-2006 at 6:52pm

Originally posted by Ted_L

Hey Kev,

I still have my FNR2 copy on my xbox.  If you want to take it online for a spin, I'd enjoy punching you in the face

The online bully is looking to find some new people to pick on .

K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-31-2006 at 12:32pm

I make pretty good bully fodder, actually! 

We'll have to set up a time, Ted...  Plus, I need to spar a little more, before you release your "coccoon of horror" on me!

Kevin

Post Reply Post Reply