Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: PS3 Pricing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPS3 Pricing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order / View Unread Post
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PS3 Pricing
    Posted: 05-09-2006 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by Brent

I am just enjoying this gen.

Agreed. Sony's E3 speech convinced me that staying with my PS2 for a while is my best bet.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-09-2006 at 11:55am
Oh Ken Katguri is just the most quotable human alive.

Kutaragi explained to IT Media why be believes the price isn't a problem:

"This is the PS3 price. Expensive, cheap -- we don't want you to think of it in terms of game machines. Because the PS3 is like nothing else.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-09-2006 at 11:52am
A couple of people from Microsofts 360 team on the PS3.

But what is Sony’s chief competitor thinking at this point? We were lucky enough to stir up a quick chat with the head of Microsoft Game Studios, Shane Kim, and GM of the Game Developer Group at Microsoft, Chris Satchell.

Our first query to Chris Satchell was to step outside of his competitive structure and simply provide thoughts on the briefing, purely as a gamer. “I’d have to say that I came away a little disappointed.”, claimed Satchell. “We really didn’t see anything that was innovative – it was the same experiences we’ve seen before.”

When asked to comment on the briefing from a competitive standpoint, Shane Kim elaborated, “I’ve said this before, but there was nothing from Sony’s briefing that would make us change anything regarding our plans. We are very confident in our approach, especially now. We have a much better online story and much better content. Finally, we feel that our superior price point provides us an advantage.”

Two areas where Sony demonstrated forward thinking was in the EyeToy card demonstration and the 6-axis controller, but we still question how mainstream these will become. Does Microsoft feel in pressure in being the only next-generation system to not feature a motion-sensing controller?

“We actually had a very similar product on the market for the PC – the (Sidewinder) Freestyle Pro.”, Kim recollected. “It was a great controller for a very specific set of games, but wasn’t accepted as an overall controller. We considered the technology when developing the Xbox 360, but felt it wasn’t the way to go.”

Satchell mentioned, “I view Sony’s motion-sensing controller more as an attempt to address what Nintendo is doing with the Wii. While I thought the EyeToy demo was cool, I do question if the masses will play a game that way.”

As for Sony’s online focus, Microsoft appeared confused. “They talked a lot about building an online community, which is something we’ve already established very well on Xbox Live. Surprisingly, they didn’t mention anything about their online gameplay structure.”

When asked if they were surprised that Sony was now adopting many of the same principles that Microsoft has touched on in previous E3’s, such as giving the game creators the power to realize their visions, Kim stated, “I think we found that Sony was touting much of the leadership thinking that we’ve previously shown.”

So what can we expect from Microsoft’s own E3 press briefing tomorrow?

“I’d say you can expect a lot of leadership to be demonstrated tomorrow.”, proclaimed Kim. “We are in a good position with our first-party lineup, not to mention the stellar support from our third-party partners.”

K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-09-2006 at 11:23am
As usual, Bill Harris has some spot-on comments regarding Sony and their plans...

I'm not very optimistic for Sony.

Kevin
Zeppo View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zeppo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-09-2006 at 11:02am
I will say that I think it's telling Sony has tacked on some motion-sensor tech. into their controller.  I don't think they are worried or scared, as much as they are performing Sony business as usual.  The problem is that the Wii controller is not just reliant on motion sensor tech, but also infra-red tech, and it's the combination of the two that apparetnly make it so wondorously effective (from all reports we've heard so far, anyway).  Plus, since the controller is really the essential part of the Wii package, many games will take advantage and push the envelope.  I don't see the games for the Sony machine being as effective in thier use of such technology, and thus don't really see much of a conpetitive disadvantage to the 360 due to this.  Maybe there will be a couple games where it is a differentiating factor, but not the bulk of the catalog.  It seems tacked on by Sony, whereas for the Wii it is the core to the whole thing.

But hey, I woudn't be surprised if in a year or so MS comes out with something similar as an add-on, and bundle it with some MS first-party game (like Halo3??), much like happened with the analog controller for the PS1 and the Gran Tourismo
game.  And later the rumble.  Sony seems to enjoy watching what Nintendo comes up with and then trying to steal their thunder.  Like I said, Sony business as usual.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-09-2006 at 11:02am
I am sure the PS3 will still sell well even at that price. They have too big a fan base /zealots not to. I hate the two SKU idea and figured after all the crap MS took on 2 SKUs we would not see that happen again.

Zeppo View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zeppo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-09-2006 at 10:53am
Whew, I was worried for minute there Brent, you had me fooled buddy!!!

LOL consider me mr. gullible.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-09-2006 at 10:19am
Heh I have to get my sarcasm color coding back out. No way in he** I am spending $500/$600 on a consoles. I am a long way way from considering either the 360 or Ps3 (hence the going to play my Xbox Thumbs Up).

Plus there is hope MS will see all the motions sensor goodies being used, realize that they screwed up with the non-pressure sensitive buttons and update their controller with added functionability.

If the graphics of the 360 & PS3 are the same and the 360 drops in price next year.... Well who knows.

I am just enjoying this gen.

Edit: I was typing this LONG before my buddy Zeppo posted but did so because I knew he would be swinging in. LOL

Zeppo View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zeppo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-09-2006 at 10:16am
Count me out until the price drops precipitously, and/or a massively killer app (non MGS or FF related) shows up to lure me in.  The baseball game isn't quite enough, I don't think, even though 2K sucks.

Surely the big HD is all about Sony's plans for downloadable movies etc., making all the more clear they need this box to be that elusive 'all in one' grail everyone is seeking.

I think renaming the place Sony Sports Gaming Nation is a great idea.

Now off to play WE9 on my 360 with the superior 360 controller!
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-09-2006 at 12:06am
I'm not in until price drops happen.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>