Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: PS3 Pricing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPS3 Pricing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message / View Unread Post
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PS3 Pricing
    Posted: 05-08-2006 at 8:46pm
The PS3 will ship with 2 configurations on 11/17/2006:
  1. PS3 w/ 20GB Hard Drive = $499
  2. PS3 w/ 60GB Hard Drive = $599

The wireless, motion-sensor controller will be the standard pack-in controller. The online service will be FREE!!!

Slumberland View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-08-2006 at 9:24pm
Oof... a little higher than I had hoped. Not to mention, it was my impression that storage these days was about a dollar a gig. Why the hundred dollar jump for 40 gigs more of storage? And what exactly will be the advantage of the 60 gig drive? I don't really envision ever filling up my 20 gig 360 drive.

Free online service is cool, I guess.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-08-2006 at 9:28pm
Ding Ding Ding.... We have a winner. If not at Christmas it will be mine in early 2007. 

I probably will stick to the 20GB setup since I am a neat freak and never use up a ton of space. I am now a fellow Sony-Bot, I will be able to play you guys online...

Rename Forum to Sony Sports Gaming Nation

Still considering the Wii but they better show me something.
Xbox360 what? Exactly.

Motion sensored controllers will dominate next gen. Poor 360 does not even have pressure sensitive buttons. Early launch could be the downfall of Microsoft throwing them back into last place.

Now off to play WE9 on my Xbox. Thumbs Up

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-08-2006 at 10:05pm
The 20GB version doesn't look llike it will have an HDMI output or integrated 802.11 b/g support Thumbs Down.

The lack of an HDMI output is a big deal to me and would force me to go with the 60GB / $599 system. Having said that, I would've liked to have seen the price be $100 cheaper for both versions of the system.
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-08-2006 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by Jason

Having said that, I would've liked to have seen the price be $100 cheaper for both versions of the system.

I feel the exact same way. They missed me by $100.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-09-2006 at 12:06am
I'm not in until price drops happen.
Zeppo View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zeppo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-09-2006 at 10:16am
Count me out until the price drops precipitously, and/or a massively killer app (non MGS or FF related) shows up to lure me in.  The baseball game isn't quite enough, I don't think, even though 2K sucks.

Surely the big HD is all about Sony's plans for downloadable movies etc., making all the more clear they need this box to be that elusive 'all in one' grail everyone is seeking.

I think renaming the place Sony Sports Gaming Nation is a great idea.

Now off to play WE9 on my 360 with the superior 360 controller!
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-09-2006 at 10:19am
Heh I have to get my sarcasm color coding back out. No way in he** I am spending $500/$600 on a consoles. I am a long way way from considering either the 360 or Ps3 (hence the going to play my Xbox Thumbs Up).

Plus there is hope MS will see all the motions sensor goodies being used, realize that they screwed up with the non-pressure sensitive buttons and update their controller with added functionability.

If the graphics of the 360 & PS3 are the same and the 360 drops in price next year.... Well who knows.

I am just enjoying this gen.

Edit: I was typing this LONG before my buddy Zeppo posted but did so because I knew he would be swinging in. LOL

Zeppo View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zeppo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-09-2006 at 10:53am
Whew, I was worried for minute there Brent, you had me fooled buddy!!!

LOL consider me mr. gullible.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-09-2006 at 11:02am
I am sure the PS3 will still sell well even at that price. They have too big a fan base /zealots not to. I hate the two SKU idea and figured after all the crap MS took on 2 SKUs we would not see that happen again.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>