Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: NFL 2K5 Revisited
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNFL 2K5 Revisited

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NFL 2K5 Revisited
    Posted: 09-02-2006 at 10:14am
I decided to play NFL 2K5 (PS2) for the first time in about 1.5 years last night and came away pretty impressed. For starters, this was the first time I tried the game on my widescreen HDTV with progressive scan enabled and it looked incredible. What surprised me the most is that Madden 07 is NOT that far behind and has (finally) started to catch up with number of player animations displayed in the NFL 2K series (two years later  though).

My biggest - and only major - complaint with NFL 2K5 in the past was the ball physics. The passes just felt too "floaty" like the ball had no weight, but for some reason I did not get that feeling last night. The ball doesn't feel like it has as much "weight" as in Madden or NCAA, but the passes felt crisp and the deep balls didn't arch as much as they do in EA's football games. What's even better is that the short passing game and screen passes worked well (something Madden and NCAA have both had problems with until this year's games).

I have to spend more time with NFL 2K5 to refresh my memory on defensive line/linbacker shifts and see what can and can't be done pre-snap. I did remember how to call hot routes after a while and forgot that you could call more than one hot route per play .

I'm not ready to say that NFL 2K5 is a better game than Madden 07 and I did wind up playing an extremey fun game of Madden right after playing 2K5, but it's nice to know that I have an alternative that was paid for over 1.5 years ago and just sitting on my shelf.

PS: NHL 2K5 and NBA 2K5 are next on my list.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-02-2006 at 1:31pm
If you want floaty passes find someone with an Xbox and throw in any version of the Fever line of Football.  Blimps have less hangtime. :)

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-02-2006 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by Brent

If you want floaty passes find someone with an Xbox and throw in any version of the Fever line of Football.  Blimps have less hangtime. :)

I remember seeing the commercials for Fever and watching gameplay videos on G4TV (when it actually had videogame-related topics) and thinking the same thing.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-02-2006 at 6:07pm
I was just reminded why I didn't play NBA 2K5 too much when I originally bought it. Besides having sluggish controls, the game just could not hold my interest.

Up next...NHL 2K5.
MatthewK View Drop Down
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post Options Post Options   Quote MatthewK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-05-2006 at 11:50am
Don't forget that you can also use the right thumbstick for various jukes in NFL2k5.

I tried out Madden 07 for a few days (got a free Logitech wireless controller with it from Best Buy), but I simply cannot see how it is better than 2k5.  Even with it's bugs, 2k5 just feels so much more like football, and less like a video game based on football.  Plus, the presentation still makes playing an entire game in Madden a chore. 

If you want to get up to speed, check out OS for updated rosters.  I think there are some for the PS2 floating around, like 2k5forever.com

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-05-2006 at 11:56am
Originally posted by MatthewK

Don't forget that you can also use the right thumbstick for various jukes in NFL2k5.

I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the info.
 Post Reply Post Reply