Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: NHL 2K7 only $19.99
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNHL 2K7 only $19.99

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NHL 2K7 only $19.99
    Posted: 10-05-2006 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Jason

Clap I'll second that!

I admit that I do my fair share of complaining about games, but the reasons are usually due to gameplay mechanics/control issues or graphics/camera issues, two issues that I feel strongly affect the fun factor of a game.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-05-2006 at 12:01pm
LOL  Reding either of the Bill's (Abner or Harris) can lead to erectile dysfunction toward gaming.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-05-2006 at 12:03pm

While some "video game gurus" may dismiss NHL 07, they should not overlook the fact that it's FUN to play. I think some people need to be reminded that these are video GAMES.

Okay, I'll be the rain on the FUN parade. :)

I *hate* this argument, at least when it is worded like that (as it commonly is).  It compares apples to oranges, and ends to means. In most cases, these 'gurus' are not saying, "Whee, look at all the FUN I'm having, but I have to ignore that because of the poor offensive zone positioning!"  People have fun in different ways, and some people don't have fun if the game isn't as sim as they want, or as 'deep' as they want, or even if they players don't have the right color shade of shoelaces.  As far as enjoying games goes, I think it's poor form to tell people that their way of having fun is the 'bad' or 'wrong' way of having fun.  (Although I struggle with this myself with the shoelace people. ;) )  To restate, I don't think people are ignoring or overlooking fun...they just aren't having any.

People who get defensive about the 'sim-ers' also tend to make the weird internal assumption that when someone like Bill Harris says "The game does not do this." he also means "therefore YOU cannot have fun with it."  Bill in particular goes out of his way to say that he *doesn't* mean that.  I think when we are talking about online forums, blogs, whathave you, being able to state 'why' the game is or isn't fun is of much more use to the readers than simply saying 'it's fun,' because -again- people have fun in different ways.  If someone goes into detail more about why they may or may not enjoy the game, you as the reader have a better chance of deciding whether or not the game is for you.

Of course, if you know you don't have the same viewpoints, you do what Ted does, and stop reading Bill's blog.  Or in my case, only 'skim' the OS threads. (Lotta shoelacers over there! :))  Or continue to read both but with the awareness that you and the site/blogger/poster/etc have different sources of 'fun.'

Okay, rant over.  Sorry!  (Where'd that come from??  Actually, I know...from my old High Heat days!)  Regarding the hockey games, I like them both (360), but I'm giving EA the edge, despite 2k perhaps being the 'gurus' choice.' ;)  Mostly, it's because I think it nails the most central act of hockey, a shooter putting the puck on net in an attempt to score, better than any other game out there, and that is a heavy, central measure of how I weigh the fun I get out of hockey video games.

In short, I don't like the 'but it's fun' argument because it usually assumes:
  • Those criticizing the game are actually having great balls of fun that they are either ignoring or discounting, or
  • The arguer's method of having FUN is better than the critic's, and the critic is 'wrong' or 'bad' for getting their fun from different channels

Sorry to jump in here all chest-puffed and all, but I've always been attuned to the 'but it's fun' wavelength.  I've written columns on it before! :)

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-05-2006 at 12:18pm
web,

I see your point, but my biggest complaint is that these guys go out of their way to find flaws in the game and try to do things that wouldn't normally be done during regular gameplay. I also think they take this hobby, and their opinions, a little too seriously, but that's another discussion.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-05-2006 at 12:21pm

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-05-2006 at 12:42pm

web,

I see your point, but my biggest complaint is that these guys go out of their way to find flaws in the game and try to do things that wouldn't normally be done during regular gameplay. I also think they take this hobby, and their opinions, a little too seriously, but that's another discussion.

I see your first point the exact same way you do.  If a flaw is a flaw only if it applies towards 'irregular' gaming ('irregular' as I play, anyway) then it's not a flaw that will bother me.  I personally don't go searching out flaws from the minute I pop in a new game, but I 'will' investigate further if I think I notice something odd in 'regular' gameplay...but in some ways I think that is common sense in sports games where you are trying to 'beat' the AI in at least some respects.  For example, if you noticed in a baseball game that the CPU was whiffing on a lot of curve balls, you'd then start throwing them curve balls when you really want a strike.  Then, since you are attuned to that, maybe you try an at-bat where you throw three curve balls.  You strike out the batter, and so you try it again...another strikeout.  You found a flaw in the game!  Are you bad because you went looking for it?  I think -again, in a genre that demands you look for ways to 'beat' the AI- that sometimes 'testing' for these flaws comes naturally.

As far as people taking their opinions or hobby too seriously, well, that's judged on a sliding scale too.  Some people might argue that anyone who spends the time to post on a gaming board takes either or both too seriously. 

Then there are those die-hard whack-jobs that actually RUN a sports videogame website! WinkLOL

I love all my video-gaming buddies!  From the ones that compile spreadsheets of shot totals to the ones that shun critics and next gen systems! You're all my pals!
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-05-2006 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by webdanzer

I love all my video-gaming buddies!  From the ones that compile spreadsheets of shot totals to the ones that shun critics and next gen systems! You're all my pals!

That line made me laugh out loud. LOL

I agree with your post. I have no problem with someone finding a flaw during "regular" gameply. Like you, I'll check out issues that arise during regular gameplay (the "lefty" glitch in MVP 04 comes to mind). I just don't understand the reasoning behind "testing" a game the second you buy it.

Your friend,

The next-gen system and critic shunner Wink.
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-05-2006 at 2:01pm

Back, foul critic! :)

No worries, I have no plans on importing any guru-critic sensibilities here. ;) 

koebner View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote koebner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-05-2006 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by Brent

LOL  Reding either of the Bill's (Abner or Harris) can lead to erectile dysfunction toward gaming.

Big%20smile
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-07-2006 at 12:25am
I was just notified that 2k7 is on the way.  I'll post impressions after spending some time with it if anyone cares.

Although I never did get some detailed impressions going for NHL 07 I can safely say that the ps2 version is the best all around hockey game I have ever played and that is going back to Gretzky on the Amiga.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>