Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: NHL 2K7 only $19.99
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNHL 2K7 only $19.99

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NHL 2K7 only $19.99
    Posted: 09-14-2006 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by Ted_L

NHL Rivals had that type of passing and it was the cat's meow.  When that series went away so did that passing.  I'm overjoyed to hear this type of passing is available.

I have no problem with the new passing scheme, I just wish I knew for sure if shooting was also done with the right-analog stick (like it is on the Xbox360).

I've checked out the gameplay instructions from Gamefly.com and it has the right-analog stick used for Skill Stick/Passing and R1 listed for slapshot and R2 listed for wrist shot. So my question is, what exactly is the function of the 'Skill Stick'? Is it just the ability to deke and move your player's stick? If so, how do you do that without passing the puck since they're both mapped to the right-analog stick? Why can't one f**king reviewer actually mention this in their review? Angry
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-14-2006 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Ted_L

Well, I have it coming on the rental program so it's really not costing me anything extra, but that sentence right there will pretty much send it right back for me.  I'll give it a whirl, but if that is all they changed I don't see myself spending more than an hour or two with it.

Best I can tell, outside of the obvious camera angle the only additions to the Current Gen Versions are (copied from IGN and other sites)...

Rivalry mode in franchise

We understand you are attempting to mimic the new “rivalry-focused” format that the NHL adopted with their scheduling last year, via the Franchise Mode. Elaborate on the changes in this mode.

Ben Bishop: Our rivalry system is definitely my favorite addition to Franchise Mode this year. Basically, each team has 1 major rival and 2 minor rivals, and when you play them during the season, the game will be noticeably more intense. For example, the crowd will get into it a lot more, the players will be a little more physical, and overall it will feel more like a playoff game than a regular season game. Also, winning games against one of your rivals can help boost your team chemistry, and the system can change over the course of your Franchise as new rivals are created through various events.

-----------

And player shadowing on the fly.

I played a game and they have a what's new in 2K7 section in the game settings but I did not take the time to look.  Those two and the camera are the only things I have noticed or saw written about regarding the current gen games.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-14-2006 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by Jason

I have no problem with the new passing scheme, I just wish I knew for sure if shooting was also done with the right-analog stick (like it is on the Xbox360).

I've checked out the gameplay instructions from Gamefly.com and it has the right-analog stick used for Skill Stick/Passing and R1 listed for slapshot and R2 listed for wrist shot. So my question is, what exactly is the function of the 'Skill Stick'? Is it just the ability to deke and move your player's stick? If so, how do you do that without passing the puck since they're both mapped to the right-analog stick? Why can't one f**king reviewer actually mention this in their review? Angry

IGN Review (Xbox version but should be the same as the PS2)

That's not to say that the development team at EA didn't do a good job, most likely with limited resources. The big addition to the gameplay is what EA has termed the "skill stick revolution." In short, passing has been mapped to the right analog stick, and with good results. By flicking the right stick in the direction of a teammate, you'll flick a pass in his direction. If you flick the stick in another direction, like toward the offensive zone, you'll dump the puck, allowing your speedier wingers to race down the ice, similar to the new style of play in the NHL with the new rink dimensions and rule changes. Still, this new passing system feels like a simple change, like moving shooting from one button to another.

-------------------------------

So I assume Skill Stick and Passing the puck are one and the same. You know EA likes to give every little addition a cutsey name.  Viva La Skill Stick Revolution!!!

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-14-2006 at 7:40pm
Thanks Brent, I just finished reading the review. Now my next questions is, can the controller layout be remapped? I'm going to pull out my NHL 06 demo and see how I enjoy it a year later.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-14-2006 at 7:48pm

Thanks Brent, I just finished reading the review. Now my next questions is, can the controller layout be remapped? I'm going to pull out my NHL 06 demo and see how I enjoy it a year later.

Fortuantely hockey games (EA & VC) have been really good about custom controls over the past few years.

It came from Gamefaqs (PS2 Version)

Yea, its true. The PS2 version only allows you to pass using the analogue stick, and might I add its quite an annoyance too. I've had a heck of a time winning face offs and getting used to having it pass the correct way and crap. I went in and totally reset the controls like 2004 which was the last hockey game I played and am still kinda not impressed.

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-14-2006 at 7:53pm
Very interesting. Thanks again. I would definitely buy NHL 07 if I knew for sure that I could remap the controls to mimic NHL 2004.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-14-2006 at 7:55pm

Very interesting. Thanks again. I would definitely buy NHL 07 if I knew for sure that I could remap the controls to mimic NHL 2004.

Sign up and make a post over there just to be safe. On occasion you get a couple helpful Gamefaqs posters.

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-15-2006 at 4:31pm
My wife is on her way to Target to pick up NHL 07 for me Thumbs%20Up. I'll try to post some early impressions later tonight.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-15-2006 at 9:16pm

My wife is on her way to Target to pick up NHL 07 for me Thumbs%20Up. I'll try to post some early impressions later tonight.

My wife came home with my copy of NHL 07 ($20 @ Target) and after playing two games so far, I'm happy with the purchase.

First things first, you can completely customize the controls to your liking Clap. This was my biggest worry with NHL 07 and it turned out to be a non-issue. The only controller settings you can't change are the left and right analog sticks, and the directional pad.

I'm glad to see last year's 'Skill Stick' (aka canned dekes and shots) has transformed into analog passing (although it's still called the skill stick?!?) on offense and poke checking on defense (instead of Bruise Control from past versions). Both changes are welcomed additions in my book.

You can also use a button for passing, in addition to the analog stick, and use both during a game. This is a nice option for people that prefer the old method of passing. I found myself alternating between the two because of my instinct to press a button to pass, but I plan on making the right-analog stick passing my preferred choice.

I was somewhat surprised to see that the speed burst button was still available. I thought it was removed from this year's game, but must have gotten the PS2 reviews confused with the Xbox360 reviews. It wasn't listed on Gamefly's NHL 07 instructions either, but I can assure you that it's present. Manual deking is still available on the left-analog stick too.

I haven't played enough to give a detailed review of the gameplay, but what I can say is that the two games I did play were a lot of fun - I may lower the game speed a little though.

The graphics are well done and have been improved quite a bit since NHL 2004, although they're not much (if any) different than NHL 06. I didn't notice a widescreen option in the game, but I think it may check the PS2's widescreen setting and display the game accordingly because it didn't look stretched on my widescreen tv.

I hope the game holds up well because I skipped the new hockey games last year and played an old copy of NHL Hitz Pro only, which I have Ted to thank for.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-16-2006 at 10:09am
Sounds good.  Look forward to giving this a shot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>