Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: NASCAR 07?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNASCAR 07?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NASCAR 07?
    Posted: 01-28-2007 at 10:35am
Originally posted by Ted_L

Also, I couldn't customise the controls to allow me to use the right stick as an accelerator/brake.  I like the PS2 controller for racing, but only if I can use the right stick in that manner ala WoO and Dirt to Daytona. 

I can understand not enjoying a game due to its control scheme. After all, I got rid of Madden 2005, which I thought was a great game, because I couldn't switch the functions of the X and O buttons on defense (Madden always allowed you to do it in the past). Fortunately, EA changed the default scheme in Madden since then.

What's annoying about that NASCAR 07 is that the right-analog gas/brake function was replaced by a useless (IMO) feature in the game - Total Team Control. I've always favored a button for gas and brake but liked using the right-analog stick once in a while too (espcially in the ATV ORF series).
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-27-2007 at 11:23pm
I'm really loving this game the more I play it. I finally got the hang of sharing a draft and intimidating other drivers. Needless to say, I'm not very popular on the race track.

I finally figured out what the Speed FOV (first noticed in NASCAR 2005) option does. It changes the angle of the camera on your car (Field Of View/Vision), which in turn affects your sense of speed and your viewing distance.

Now I just need to find out how to view the details of your past races in season mode.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-27-2007 at 12:00am
Originally posted by GB_Simo

Progressing like that, you'll be winning the Chase in no time Thumbs%20Up

Adam, you can follow my progress in the Dynasty Thread

Originally posted by GB_Simo

It's a fun little game, NASCAR 07.  What I really liked about it, and this was something I felt had developed since the 06 edition, was the racecraft of the AI cars.  They know their stuff - pretty much everything they do is believable, which not only helps the immersion factor but gives you at least a fighting chance of employing proper driving techniques to combat them.

I could not agree more. My biggest problem is that I tend to do a lot of bumping and banging when I race. The problem is that I usually have about 30 cars trying to run me off the road by time the end of the race is near.
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-26-2007 at 11:50pm
Progressing like that, you'll be winning the Chase in no time Thumbs%20Up

It's a fun little game, NASCAR 07.  What I really liked about it, and this was something I felt had developed since the 06 edition, was the racecraft of the AI cars.  They know their stuff - pretty much everything they do is believable, which not only helps the immersion factor but gives you at least a fighting chance of employing proper driving techniques to combat them.

There are some games that display a willingness to let the AI drive around or through you in ridiculous ways (indeed, EA published 3 F1 titles with exactly that trait, and a distressing tendency to run you off the road should you dare to defend your line), and that this series has avoided that for a while pleases and surprises me in equal measure.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-22-2007 at 9:18pm
After spending a little more time with NASCAR 07, I feel safe in saying that it's a much better game than NASCAR 2005. Also, Gamespot was completely WRONG when they stated that the PS2 version didn't support progressive scan (see first post in this thread). Widescreen support and progressive scan are BOTH available in the PS2 version.

Ted, I see what you're talking about with the dead zone in the controls but don't think it's any different from other non-arcade racers like GT3 & 4 or earlier NASCAR titles. While I'll admit that I'm pretty bad at NASCAR games, it was pretty frustrating to never win a race in 2005 and usually have a hard time finishing at all. In '07, I'm able to stay on the track and actually won a quick race (in rookie mode Embarrassed) tonight. I even recovered without crashing after getting clipped in the back from a rival. Actually, the controls feel very similar to NASCAR 2003.

I never played the Xbox version so I can't compare the graphics or frame rates, but this year's version is no worse than any previous version on the PS2. If anything, it may be a little better. Now I can finally sell my copy of NASCAR 2005 without hesitation.
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-21-2006 at 9:08pm
I have the deadzone, though I don't recall it being quite to that extent (the game is with a mate of mine so I can't double-check that just yet).  Beyond the deadzone everything is fine.

Edit: That probably needs a bit more explanation.  I don't own that many PS2 racing games that don't have some sort of deadzone in the analogue steering, so I'm used to that - I assume it's my pad, which came with a second-hand PS2 that I've owned for three years.  That it's there in NASCAR 07 is an annoyance but it doesn't affect the gameplay, since once I'm past the zone I can still use the full range of steering inputs.

In a roundabout sort of way, I think I'm agreeing with you to an extent, in that I could at least imagine the XBox version not having any kind of deadzone.  I don't personally feel, though, that the gameplay suffers through it.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-21-2006 at 7:50pm
Adam,

Specifically my problem is that when I move the stick just a bit right or left nothing happens, a little more, nothing, and then about 1/3 in (2/3 from the stop) the car will over control right or left so I can't seem to make minute adjustments.  I feel like I'm constantly overcontrolling the car and it's the same with both of my controllers.  You don't have that experience?
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-21-2006 at 5:34pm
Oh.  My experience of the PS2 controls has been, and continues to be, that they're absolutely fine and allow for precise positioning and control of the cars...having not played 07 on XBox I can't compare directly but certainly it seems no worse than the XBox version of 06, a game whose problems stemmed from a balls-up in the physics rather than the controls.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-21-2006 at 11:55am
HA!
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-21-2006 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Ted_L

I don't know if they control worse than 2005.  My observation was that compared to the xbox version the controls aren't as tight.  That's comparing 2007 to 2007.

You still ruined my birthday Wink. You'll pay for it tonight on the ice.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>