Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: NASCAR 07?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNASCAR 07?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NASCAR 07?
    Posted: 09-08-2006 at 11:19am
Anyone pick up this game yesterday? I was somewhat interested in it until the reviews started pouring in and decided not to sell my copy of NASCAR 2005. The thing that annoyed me the most was the fact that EA removed progressive scan from this year's PS2 game (2005 supports widescreen AND progressive scan). Here's the quote from Gamespot:
"They are merely average when viewed in progressive scan on the Xbox, but on the PlayStation 2, which supports widescreen but not 480p, they look downright poor."
I've also been playing NASCAR Thunder 2003 (which has widescreen support) the past fews nights and can't believe how much better it controls than 2005 and according to the reviews I've read, 06 and 07 handle worse than 2005!?! I'd like to stick with NASCAR Thunder 2003 only, but the sense of speed and progressive scan output from 2005 have made that decision harder to stick with.
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-25-2006 at 6:14pm

Did anybody get hold of this?  Jason?  Anyone?  It's due out here in a couple of weeks, so if someone has some impressions they'd be welcome.

NASCAR 06 was the first EA Sports NASCAR release here since the 2000 edition, and my experience of 2005 is limited to two races on my mate's modded XBox so I'm not any authority on that game.  06 managed to be a lot of fun despite the handling model, apparently designed to give the cars so much understeer that even on full lock your car's path would still describe a ruler-straight line.  The only way to overcome that was to make fundamental setup changes, but in doing that you'd give yourself an armful of oversteer instead, with no window in between for a more neutral car.  In the end, you'd side with the oversteer because that at least allowed you to turn a corner, even if you'd probably be pointing the wrong way by the time you were done.  I had to play the flaming thing on Rookie, since it was impossible to even compete on any higher level.

Yet it was still fun.  If they've got anywhere near fixing that then 07 ought be a winner, but something tells me they haven't.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-25-2006 at 6:47pm
Adam, it's funny that you resurrected this thread as I was once again thinking about buying NASCAR 07 after writing it off for a while. I've been pretty impressed with EA's 07 games and thought I'd give NASCAR 07 a shot too.

I never played NASCAR 06, but all of the reviews I've read (I'll look for the links) state that the car handling is MUCH better in 07. A lot of them made a point to say that the handling is only only major difference between the two versions.
koebner View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote koebner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-26-2006 at 5:40am
Nascar 07 indeed has better handling out of the box than 06.With the driving aids turned off,you get a decent idea of how much of a pig the cup cars are,and there is some challenge in keeping a good racing line.

The game doesn't drop you into the career mode upon boot up like 06,and you don't necessarily have to go through all of the developmental classes to try your hand at a cup ride.

Graphically,it's pretty much the same as 06,with a better sense of speed.Sound is the same,but with different Trax.

Overall 07 is a better game on the track than 06,and more fun.

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-26-2006 at 6:07am
Originally posted by koebner

Nascar 07 indeed has better handling out of the box than 06.With the driving aids turned off,you get a decent idea of how much of a pig the cup cars are,and there is some challenge in keeping a good racing line.

The game doesn't drop you into the career mode upon boot up like 06,and you don't necessarily have to go through all of the developmental classes to try your hand at a cup ride.

Graphically,it's pretty much the same as 06,with a better sense of speed.Sound is the same,but with different Trax.

Overall 07 is a better game on the track than 06,and more fun.

Now I'm even more tempted to buy it. I'll probably grab it once it goes on sale somewhere.
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-26-2006 at 5:57pm
I quite liked the prologue in NASCAR 06, actually, wouldn't have minded seeing that again this year.  koebner - when you say you don't have to go through the Modifieds, Craftsman and so on to try a Cup ride, which game modes does that apply to?  I'm assuming that's a bit like last year, so you only need to race the Mods and so on in the Race to the Top or whatever they call career mode?
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-02-2006 at 10:29pm
I got in about 4 hours head to head with my friend that we were staying with in LA.  Had a blast with it and putting it in the rental que.  We played xbox version, but I imagine PS2 won't be that different.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-02-2006 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by Ted_L

I got in about 4 hours head to head with my friend that we were staying with in LA.  Had a blast with it and putting it in the rental que.  We played xbox version, but I imagine PS2 won't be that different.

Temptation is getting stronger....
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-08-2006 at 5:52pm
Jason, my quest for a copy of the XBox version has been a fruitless one, and so yesterday I gave in and picked up NASCAR 07 on PS2.  One of the only things I've done so far is run a race in Las Vegas, a track which was as good as unraceable in NASCAR 06, on Veteran difficulty, which was not far short of impossible to keep up with in 06 (Lord only knows what Legend level was like - I certainly lack the necessary masochistic streak to find out.)

First things first - the displays and interfaces are unchanged from 06.  This means that, as far as I'm able to work out, it's not possible to accelerate and brake with the right stick since that's always used for the team control commands.  Luckily enough, the analogue face buttons are very easy to use in racing.  In other words, they don't operate like an on/off switch - there's enough play to allow for controlled stopping and going.  The graphics are fine, especially when you consider that there are 43 cars to shift around the racetrack, but not changed greatly from 06 save for the peculiar addition of a speed blurring effect whenever a car is in what would be your driver's peripheral vision.

I went into the race not expecting to have fun.  Last year the cars were only driveable with all assists on, and in that state you're almost not needed, having very little impact upon what the car ultimately does.  Running without assists on any track that required you to slow the car down on corner entry, the cars handled so badly that you were never a competitive proposition.  I skipped qualifying and started mid-pack, all set to steam to the back of the field before the first lap was out.

The green flag was thrown, the field arrived at the first corner and when I lifted the throttle and turned in, the car obeyed.  When I wanted part throttle to maintain speed through 1 and 2, I got part throttle and not all of the power at once.  I was three-wide down the back straight and not once did I think that the AI cars would do anything other than hold their line and race hard and fair.  I'd got up to 15th at the end of lap 1, and would have ended up with a top-10 finish had I realised I'd left accelerated fuel and tyre wear on.  Since I didn't remember, and didn't pay attention to the words 'Your crew chief recommends you pit' during a caution period, I ended up as the only car to pit under green flag conditions and finished with one of the more entertaining 42nd-place finishes of my virtual racing career.

This game, Jason, is all sorts of fun and I'd expect it to hang around in your gaming library for a good while, should you end up taking the plunge. 
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-08-2006 at 7:14pm
Thanks for the impressions Adam. I've been thinking about grabbing a copy of NASCAR 07 and am glad to hear that the controls are much improved from last year's game. I may have my wife buy me a copy for my birthday next month now that you and Ted have both had favorable first impressions.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>