Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: NASCAR 07?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNASCAR 07?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NASCAR 07?
    Posted: 10-09-2006 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by Jason

Thanks for the impressions Adam. I've been thinking about grabbing a copy of NASCAR 07 and am glad to hear that the controls are much improved from last year's game. I may have my wife buy me a copy for my birthday next month now that you and Ted have both had favorable first impressions.

Adam,

How's the framerate on the PS2 version?
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-09-2006 at 6:09pm
Funnily enough, I'd just come on to post about that.

The framerate is generally fine, but I've noticed that when things busy up at Watkins Glen there's a noticeable drop and stutter - nothing gamebreaking but enough to catch your attention.  I've not came across any other framerate issues so far, but there are a couple of obvious candidates (Sears Point, the fantasy road courses, Bristol at night) for stuttering problems that I've yet to run any laps on.  Nothing to worry about unduly so far, but I'll keep an eye on it.

EDIT - the reason it isn't gamebreaking, incidentally, is that I've only had slowdown on the three main straights.  The corners, apart from a little stutter midway through the Esses, have been absolutely fine.

The other thing that made me go 'ooooh' was the rear view mirror.  It's off by default, you can toggle it on and off in-game with a button press and when you do switch it on, the mirror must run at something daft like 10 fps.  The action looking forward is completely unaffected, but the mirror jerks and lacks detail.  I'm assuming that's a conscious design decision, and it doesn't affect gameplay, but it does look a bit odd.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-09-2006 at 6:25pm
I've heard that the overall framerate is much better without the rear view mirror which is why EA set the default to 'Off'. Did you have the rear view mirror turned On when you saw the framerate issues at Watkins Glen?
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-09-2006 at 7:32pm
No.   I've never had a single problem when I've switched the mirror on, but I don't drive with it on all the time.  I might use it four or five times a race, tops. To be honest, I'd assumed the mirror view was jerky and lacking in detail as a means of preserving the overall framerate when it was switched on.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-09-2006 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by GB_Simo

No.   I've never had a single problem when I've switched the mirror on, but I don't drive with it on all the time.  I might use it four or five times a race, tops. To be honest, I'd assumed the mirror view was jerky and lacking in detail as a means of preserving the overall framerate when it was switched on.

Thanks for all the info. NASCAR 07 will most likely be my next game.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-20-2006 at 1:00am
I spent an hour or so with Nascar 07 PS2 tonight.  I'm sending it right back to gameznflix.  The framerates aren't as smooth as the xbox version and I find the controls too loose even with sensitivity turned up.  Also, I couldn't customise the controls to allow me to use the right stick as an accelerator/brake.  I like the PS2 controller for racing, but only if I can use the right stick in that manner ala WoO and Dirt to Daytona. 

Overall I just didn't have the same experience as with the xbox version.  I can't remember really, but it also seemed like the racing screen was different in that version too.  Might be just me remembering wrongly though.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-20-2006 at 12:41pm
Looks like I'll be passing on this one if we can't race online.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-20-2006 at 12:52pm
Hope I didn't ruin your birthday.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-20-2006 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by Ted_L

Hope I didn't ruin your birthday.

I was really hoping to replace NASCAR 2005. What worries me is that most people feel that the cars control well in 2005 and I don't seem seem to think so at all. If 07 is worse, I'd hate to see how hard of a time I'd have controlling the cars in that version. Looks like it's back to 2003 for me.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-20-2006 at 8:34pm
I don't know if they control worse than 2005.  My observation was that compared to the xbox version the controls aren't as tight.  That's comparing 2007 to 2007.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>