Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Your 2006 Sports Games of the Year
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedYour 2006 Sports Games of the Year

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Legend
Legend

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your 2006 Sports Games of the Year
    Posted: 11-29-2006 at 3:24pm
Since pretty much everything has been released that would fall under the GOTY category and you guys are kind of silent lately...  nothing better then a GOTY thread to liven up the mood. :)

Copy/paste the info below into your reply

Categories

Football:

Basketball:

Baseball:

Hockey:

Soccer:

Other: (Traditional - Golf, Tennis, Rugby, etc)

Extreme Sports:

Biggest Surprise:

Biggest Disappointment:

Best Sports Game Publisher:

Game(s) you anticipate the most in Q1 & Q2 in 2007:

Game(s) you anticipate the most in Q3 & Q4 in 2007:

Last but not least
Your Favorite Sports Game of 2006:

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-29-2006 at 5:33pm
Football: 

NCAA 07 (360) - So new, so pretty and I could never go back to the old playcalling system. Still a bunch of current gen problems carried over (suction blocking, atrocious collision detection, lack of true gang-tackling, etc).  If they can fix some of these issues, tweak the weak areas of the AI, throw in some variety with the camera angles, clean up the horrid weather effects, add all the stadiums, teams and features from the current gen game... You have something truly special for NCAA 08.

Basketball:

CH 2K7 (360) - Even the pre-game warmups are a blast to play. If the EA Football games had 1/16th of the presentation in this game it would be a large step up for them.

Baseball:

MVP 06 (Xbox) - Good start but many, many, many things to work on as I have stated in previous posts.

Hockey:

NHL 2K7 (360) - Only hockey game I own.

Soccer:

Fifa 07 (Xbox) - Much improvement. If Fifa 08 is everything that is in the current gen game, along with the power of the 360, I will be a happy camper.

Tiger Woods 07 (360) - Great game but still some flaws. They need to get to work on a course creator, get the existing course library over 20 next year, fix the short putt animation and difficulty of putting (which is far too easy) just to name a few.

Extreme Sports:

None - Guess nothing was extreme enough for me to enjoy. 

Biggest Surprise:

Tiger Woods 07 (360) and Fifa 07 (Xbox)

Fully customizable controls in both NCAA/Madden 07 (360)

Biggest Disappointment:

MLB 2K6 (Xbox)

Next Gen Menus - Whoever came up with the menus for CH 2K7 (360) needs to be taken outback and flogged. They took the already horrid NBA 2K6/2K7 current gen menus and made it worse. NCAA/Madden 07 (360) menus are right up there in annoying-ville.

Lack of ESPN, or for that matter any presentation on NCAA/Madden07 (360).

Best Sports Game Publisher:

Current Gen (EA Sports) Both Football Games, Rugby06, Fifa07 and MVP06 were solid.

Next Gen (2K Sports) Not by much but they get credit for not stripping their games of features and trying to sell some of them as microtransactions.

MVP 07, Virtua Tennis 3, WEPES 07

Game(s) you anticipate the most in Q3 & Q4 in 2007:

NCAA 08, CH 2K8

Last but not least

NCAA 07 (360)  but TW07 and CH2K7 are nipping at it's heels

As for NCAA 07 I have to quote Kool & The Gang for my reasoning

She's fresh (fresh) Exciting
She's so excited to me yeah
She's fresh (fresh) Exciting
She's so inviting to me

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-29-2006 at 6:32pm
You stole my thunder. I always post my "Game of the Year" choices this time of year. I'll post mine later tonight.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-29-2006 at 8:47pm
Categories

Football:
Madden 07 (PS2) - A solid effort with no game-killing glitches helped Madden grab the #1 spot for me. NCAA 07 would have easily been my football game of choice if not for a few things that I won't mention for the 100th time.

Basketball: None - I skipped all of the basketball titles this year.

Baseball: MLB 06: The Show - This game wasn't even on my radar until the positive reviews started pouring in. Top-notch presentation combined with solid game made this my top baseball game of the year. Sony is only a few tweaks away from the ultimate baseball game.

Honorable mention goes to MVP 06. Excellent gameplay and the addition of zone-batting put EA's game into the top tier of baseball games. The major negative against MVP was its poor presentation.

Hockey: NHL 07 (PS2) - After 3 months of playtime, I still don't have one complaint with the gameplay. The game is simply fun to play and has that "one more game" feel to it. Solid presentation and a smooth frame rate are icing on the cake.

Soccer: Winning Eleven 9 (PS2) - The biggest addition was the online play which was lag-free but lacked voice chat for the PS2.

Other: (Traditional - Golf, Tennis, Rugby, etc) None - I may pick up one the Hot Shots golf games though and give it a shot.

Extreme Sports: None

Biggest Surprise:
MLB 06: The Show and NHL 07 (PS2) - two games that I had no intention of buying turned out to be my two favorite sports games of the year.

Biggest Disappointment: NCAA Football 07 (PS2) - an annoying special teams/momentum shift camera angle and the questionable momentum meter ruined what could have been an excellent game for me.

Best Sports Game Publisher: EA (reluctantly)

Game(s) you anticipate the most in Q1 & Q2 in 2007: MLB 07: The Show (PS2), Fight Night Round 4 (PS2) and MVP 07 (PS2)

Game(s) you anticipate the most in Q3 & Q4 in 2007: NCAA Football 08 (PS2)

Favorite Sports Game of 2006:
 This is a tough one for me. My two choices are NHL 07 (PS2) and MLB 06: The Show. NHL doesn't game any gameplay flaws that bother me while MLB does (baserunning, unresponsive infielders and the lack of right-analog stick fielding. On the other hand, no sports game has blown me away like MLB 06. If ever there was a sports game that made me feel like I was really there, it's MLB 06. More importantly, 8 months after buying the game, I still enjoy playing it. For those reasons, MLB 06: The Show is my favorite sports game of the year with NHL 07 a very close second.
inuyasha View Drop Down
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post Options Post Options   Quote inuyasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-29-2006 at 11:42pm

Categories

Football: NCAA FOOTBALL 07 XBOX 360

Basketball:  N/A

Baseball: MLB 06 THE SHOW

Hockey: N/A

Soccer: WE9 PS2/XBOX

N/A

Extreme Sports:
N/A

Biggest Surprise:
  MLB 06 THE SHOW

Biggest Disappointment: MLB2K6

Best Sports Game Publisher: EA (no other competition).

Game(s) you anticipate the most in Q3 & Q4 in 2007: NCAA08

Last but not least
NCAA FOOTBALL 07 XBOX 360
Slumberland View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-03-2006 at 9:39pm
Football: NCAA '07 Football (360)

I know it's not perfect, but it's gorgeous and fun to play, and it's made me pay attention to real-life college football for the first time ever. My girlfriend was utterly perplexed to find me watching USC vs. UCLA yesterday, followed by a little Hawaii vs. Oregon State.

Basketball: NBA 2K7 (360) by default, really. I just can't hang with basketball games anymore and how long they take to play. Maybe if they came out with a PSP version or instituted something utterly revolutionary for the console versions like, say, IN-GAME SAVES.

Baseball: Definitely MLB '06: The Show. Both versions.

Hockey: NHL '07 (360). I love this game!

Soccer: Winning Eleven 9, natch.

Other: (Traditional - Golf, Tennis, Rugby, etc) Rugby '06 (Xbox) was fun for a while.

Extreme Sports: Um... pass.

Biggest Surprise: TIE - NCAA Football '07 and NHL '07 (360).

Biggest Disappointment: MLB 2K6 (360)

Best Sports Game Publisher: This is difficult to write, but EA Sports. They had a ton of stinkers but put out two games I really dig, which is more than I can say for any other publisher, really.

Last but not least
Your Favorite Sports Game of 2006: MLB '06: The Show
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-03-2006 at 11:02pm
Football: I may have to default here.  I've only played Madden 07 360 and found it an utterly underwhelming experience.

Basketball: NBA 2K7 (360).  I wish, I wish, that the AI-controlled team mates were better at moving themselves into useful positions without my having to run plays to help them out, but they're not awful when left to their own devices and there's not a lot else to complain about.

Baseball: N/A

Hockey: N/A

Soccer: FIFA 07 (360).  I know, OK?  You'll see why in a moment, but for now I'll say that this game is fun and sufficiently different from XBox FIFA to warrant my keeping it around for a while yet.

Other: (Traditional - Golf, Tennis, Rugby, etc) It's testament to the number of sports games I've played this year, and indeed to what I've thought of those I have, that my pick here should be a game that I enjoyed but spent decent amounts of time savaging for various borderline gamebreakers - ToCA Race Driver 3 (XBox)

Extreme Sports: N to the A 

Biggest Surprise: FIFA 07 (360).  It's not awful, you see.

Biggest Disappointment: Pro Evo 6 (PS2, 360).  On PS2, it's still fine but not a step forward.  On 360, it is awful.

Best Sports Game Publisher: EA, by default.

Game(s) you anticipate the most in Q1 & Q2 in 2007: Not a single thing.

Game(s) you anticipate the most in Q3 & Q4 in 2007: As above, cats.

Favorite Sports Game of 2006:
 I really am.  I really am going to have to pick FIFA on 360, and while I do love it, I'm saying as much about the competition as I am about my winner.
 Post Reply Post Reply