Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Gaming Rut?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedGaming Rut?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gaming Rut?
    Posted: 01-18-2007 at 10:16am
Is anyone else in a gaming rut? I haven't played much of anything lately and part the reason is lack of time along with a lack of desire.

I'm assuming from the lack of activity here that I'm not alone. Is there another activity that is stealing some of your "videogaming" time? I've been overwhelmed at work and have been spending more time watching movies with my wife (and American Idol Embarrassed).
petes-24 View Drop Down
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post Options Post Options   Quote petes-24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-18-2007 at 11:26am
Been doing more PC stuff after Christmas, but I did pop in WE the other day; it reminded me that I still think that soccer game is the best overall sports video game, period.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-18-2007 at 11:55am
Too much work for me.  It also helps not having any consoles. Tongue

Zeppo View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zeppo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-18-2007 at 11:57am
Certainly not me!  I've been enjoying the piss out of WE9 as I make one last big push in my ML before the 360 version drops.  I just bought Puskas!  I had restarted once the game became back-compat, and so I think I'm only in my fourth or fifth season.  And the DSP league is always moving along; I just earned my first Cup win against Mo, who sadly won't be moving into the 360 version with us. 

Also I have been playing a lot of SC: DA multiplayer in the last week, and when we can't get enough for vs. mode, the co-op has become much more fun than it used to be for whatever reason.  Then there's GoW and R6: Vegas which have been tremendously fun for multiplayer. R6 Co-op is a blast, and I love the new attack/ defend mode in vs.  GoW is simply a classic, very basic in a lot of ways, but tremendously well balanced and lots of fun. Already they have released two new maps.

Then there's College Hoops 2K7, which I am enjoying a lot, mostly online though I even enjoy it v. CPU as well!  I have a little league going with some DSP guys, but as usual many have not been playing their games.  With the 'flexible schedule' option in the 2K automated league system, it's functional even without the online website tallying stats or making any sense.  I still have NBA2K7 from gamefly, and it's a lot of fun online, but the differences from CH get in my way; I'd need to play more NBA to get comfortable with the differences.

I keep going back into Oblivion quite often as well, still trying to finish off that main story quest.  That game is so ridiculously deep, it's sick.  There are entire regions of gameplay that I haven't even touched, like the whole sneaky thief thing, or any number of treasure-filled caves and such.  I'm waiting for Lost Planet from gamefly now, and looking forward to it a lot.  I am considering trying out the Star Trek game, to feed my inner Trekker junkie, and of course once Forza arrives I will be putting alot of time into that.  But before then, WE360 will show up and it will be 'lights out' for any other games for a spell!

The only rut I'm in is that there are so many damn good games for the 360, especially of the multi-player variety.
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-18-2007 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by Jason

Is anyone else in a gaming rut? I haven't played much of anything lately and part the reason is lack of time along with a lack of desire.

It's the languor of lingering in the last generation! LOL Wink

I'm with Zep, having tons of fun on the 360, and now just beginning to break in the Wii.  There are too many good games out now that I can't keep up with them.

Now, my rut was with sports games.  They're just too old, too stale now.  The genre really, really needs an overall.  I wouldn't even really define myself as a sports-gamer now.  I can totally understand the rut if you're mostly a 'sports-gamer.'

Now, NHL is an exception, because, IMO, they *have* done something significant to move the genre forward.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-18-2007 at 2:48pm
Web,

After reading reading Zeppo's reply, I was thinking the same thing. I'd like to jump on the next-gen bandwagon but don't have the disposable income and still haven't been blown away by anything next-gen yet. My reluctance to joining the next-gen is weakening though.
koebner View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote koebner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-18-2007 at 5:25pm
I have an embarassment of games for the previous-gen I've yet to finish and plenty I'm playing currently.Smile
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-18-2007 at 7:45pm
Console rut, yeah.  I think the last time I played online with Jason was the last time I played a console game.  I still play regularly on the PC with flight sims, RTS, and a smattering of other things.  Also recently got into machinima and have been trying out some creations of my own.

Of course flying has and will continue to take a large part of what used to be my gaming time.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-18-2007 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by Ted_L

Also recently got into machinima and have been trying out some creations of my own.

Just out of curiosity, how did you get involved with Machinima and do you have anything to show off yet?
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-19-2007 at 2:35am
Originally posted by Jason

Just out of curiosity, how did you get involved with Machinima and do you have anything to show off yet?

Back when I was reading Bill Harris' blog he touted a machinima piece entitled "Still Seeing Breen" and it really grabbed me.  I hadn't heard of machinima and I hadn't played HL2 yet, but the visuals and style really drew me in.  (You can download it here http://www.machinima.org/paul_blog/2005/03/still-seeing-breen-take-3.html).  I didn't create anything until recently when I started seeing some of the creations being made with one of my favorite sims Il-2 Forgotten Battles.  I didn't really know how simple it was to put a basic movie together with free programs or demos of payware programs

I did some experiments and only really had some short clips and scenes as I learned how to use the limited cameras within that sim.

I finally did complete a piece that is really just a theme around flying online combat with a medium bomber that is set to music.  I didn't upload to youtube or any of those compressed file/limited resolution sites because I feel it compromises the visual detail of the work and there are a lot of small details that deserve to be seen.  The piece is about 5 minutes long and comes in at 37mb and I'll let anyone see it that wants to because I'd love to get feedback on it.

Now that I'm threadjacking, what would it cost me to have a site which would be a home for my machinimas (more in the future), my newfound digital aviation photography bug, and my flying hobby?  How much bandwidth could I expect to need?  I know it is bad to offer streaming video so I would offer the files as .zips to download only with maybe some small streaming previews.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>