Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Xbox Live Hacked
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedXbox Live Hacked

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xbox Live Hacked
    Posted: 03-21-2007 at 9:35am

Online gaming forums are buzzing with reports that Xbox Live accounts linked to Microsoft's Windows Live ID service are being hijacked by malicious hackers.

Kevin Finisterre, a security researcher at Digital Munition, raised the issue on the Full Disclosure mailing list over the weekend, calling attention to rumors that Microsoft's Bungie.net was the victim of a breach that exposed a portion of Xbox Live.

"Some folks are having their Microsoft points stolen and or points purchased via their stolen gamer tag," Finisterre said.

A quick search of user forums at xbox.com and other gaming sites turned up multiple messages from Xbox Live users complaining about hijacked accounts, which typically link gamer tags to Windows Live ID (formerly .NET Passport).

K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-21-2007 at 10:53am
Glad I'm still waiting to make my "next gen" purchase, LOL...

Kevin
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-21-2007 at 11:09am
I found this article kinda interesting:

PlayStation 3 Withstands Hackers For Months

Remember that news story we ran some months ago in regards to if you can hack a PS3, you'll get one? Yeah, well, nobody won. The challenge was to hack an open platform PS3 that was running Linux and operating online. In other words, this test was to see how secure would the PS3 be as a dedicated server. The founder of the Japanese web hosting company Shimpinomori, Augustin Vidovic, was pleasantly surprised - the company was also the one who issued this challenge in the first place.

After hundreds of thousands of attempts, the PlayStation 3 managed to go unhacked by hackers from all around the globe; and this went on for two months non-stop. Yes, the PS3 was turned on and online for nearly 1440 hours. Coincidentally, this also made Augustin Vidovic realize that the PS3 can run for such an extensive amount of time and not overheat or malfunction.

"I was half expecting that someone would find a crack in the Linux setup, and it did not happen," he said. "Nobody could hack into the PS3."

Vidovic has more than 1GB worth of logs of all of the attempts taken to hack the PS3. Vidovic called the attempts "unimaginative". There was one quirky little exploit found, but nothing remotely noteworthy; it was a bottleneck exploit that allowed the "hacker" to limit the number of people that can connect to the PS3 at once and hack it.

Remember, this isn't about hacking the PS3's firmware - it's about the PS3's infrastructure capabilities, it's prowess to withstand online hackers that may want to corrupt your console with malicious viruses and bugs.

Source: PSXExtreme.com
K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-21-2007 at 7:49pm
LOL...  I think the PS3 guys hacked the 360!

Kevin
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-22-2007 at 12:57pm
Looks like the Live trouble isn't a 'hack,' per se, but more a procedural problem where Customer Service has been giving away enough account info to allow miscreants to then hijack it and use it as their own.  While this is still a serious issue, the implied comparison to the PS3 anti-hack test is apples to oranges.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-22-2007 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by webdanzer

While this is still a serious issue, the implied comparison to the PS3 anti-hack test is apples to oranges.

There was no implied comparison. I figured the PS3 thread would fit in here instead of starting a new one.
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-22-2007 at 5:42pm
Okay, maybe not as much implied as overt. Tongue Not saying you had any agenda, J, but with a post titled 'PlayStation 3 Withstands Hackers For Month' posted very shortly after 'Xbox Live Hacked' it would be hard  for me to see how someone would not make a comparison. Smile

Either way you slice it, MS has shown that they are at least somewhat vulnerable to security attacks, but the Sony article does not show that Sony is not vulnerable in the same way.  Even if it was not your intent to portray it as a direct comparison, it could easily be read so, and that's why I posted.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-22-2007 at 7:16pm
I've said this before and I'll say it again; I have nothing but respect for Microsoft and the Xbox brand. I've been a huge Bill Gates fan for years and have the books and movies to prove it. I'm amazed at what he/Microsoft accomplished and even more impressed with his generosity towards charities.

Back in 2001 I made a decision to buy a PS2 because the Xbox was not available and the PS2 had games I was interested in. I don't consider myself that big of gamer and couldn't justify buying a second console (Xbox), so the PS2 was and is the platform I use - end of story.

Fast forward to 3/2007 and I once again have to decide which console to buy, an Xbox 360 or a PS3. Believe me when I say that I'm undecided at the moment, but knowing that the console I buy will be the only one that I have for the next few years makes the decision even harder.

I wish Microsoft did blow me away with the 360 and I love the fact that an American company is trying to compete in the videogame market. The Xbox 360 is cheaper, has more titles currently available, has a better online service and is popular among the forums I visit.

Sony hasn't done any better. They over-priced their console and haven't shown anything that makes it worth the extra money. I'm hoping/waiting for one of them to do something that pushes me over the edge.

Finally, some may wonder why I have a website geared towards videogames if I don't consider myself a big gamer. There's a few reasons:

1. I still enjoy videogames but don't have the time and money to devote to them like I did years ago.

2. I sometimes enjoy discussing videogames more than playing them. I'm also very interested in the business aspect of videogames.

3. I enjoy building and maintaining web sites. This site gives me the opportunity to try out the latest and greatest web applications.

4. I've met some great people over the years that I socialize with solely through this web site.

One day I'll shock you all and post a picture of me with my new Xbox 360!!!
K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-22-2007 at 8:03pm
Fanboy...  Evil%20Smile

Seriously, I actually feel better knowing it was a procedural issue and not a technical issue.  They'll smack a few reps around, and the problem should be solved. 

I'm still on the fence, too, Jason.  I'm telling you what, if the "Zephyr" had built-in wi-fi, I'd be all over it.  I'm NOT running a cord upstairs to game online in HI-Def.  I'm still having fun with my other two consoles, but I'm itching to game in HD, that's for sure. 

Kevin
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-23-2007 at 8:56am

I feel bad that my comments prompted you into posting an explanation of your purchasing position, Jason. Unhappy  I really was not accusing you of a negative bias towards MS...I just wanted to point out that the 'hacking' mentioned in the two posts actually referenced two different things, even as the posts made it seem they were opposite ends of the spectrum on the same thing.  That's all.

There is no way you need to defend your decision to game on a ps2.  That machine could be perhaps be considered the most successful console ever, in any sense of the word successful....depth, breadth, and quality of titles, sales, function of the machine, etc.

Likewise, the failure rate of the 360s is reason enough alone for a careful consumer to not purchase one.  Nothing to defend there, either.

Anyway, while it'd be great to have you on a 360 so I could game with you, I really did in no way mean for you to take my posts on the hacking subject as an attack on your current console positioning.  Sorry about that!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>