Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
The Locker Room (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Sports Gaming Nation Archive : The Locker Room
Subject Topic: MVP 06 Hitting System!!! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Ted

Online Status: Offline
Posted: January 16 2006 at 7:35pm | IP Logged Quote Ted

Jason wrote:

Ted, I'm sure we'll figure out settings that both of us enjoy, even if that means going to MVP's old method of hitting. I'm hoping we can settle on 'Load & Fire' for our online games though.

Here's my thoughts on zone hitting: When I played baseball in real life and a pitch came at me low and away, I swung my bat low and away to reach the ball and make contact. Zone hitting uses the same principle, put the bat on the ball. It's always felt very natural to me because if a high-inside fastball came at me in real life, I'd have to move my bat up and in to make contact, and with zone-hitting, I'd have to do the same thing. Also, if you move the analog stick inside on a pitch down the middle or a little outside, you wouldn't get good "wood" on the ball because you'd hit it off the end of the bat. Whether you swung early or late would determine if the ball was pulled or went to the opposite field.

Those are all valid points, especially since that is the way you approached hitting.  I guess that is why there are lots of people in the zone camp and lots of people in the timing camp.

I never approached hitting in real life by thinking about swinging where the ball was.  I found that a swing was always a swing that tried to put the meat of the bat on the ball.  I didn't swing outside or inside.  I either lead with my hands or dragged my hands depending on pitch placement and tried to go with the pitch.  Now, I was never a power hitter, but I was a good contact hitter and line drive hitter so maybe that has something to do with it. 

What I like so much about MVP hitting is that it is very hard to pull an outside pitch and just as hard to drive an inside pitch to the opposite field.  What I always found with zone was as long as I picked the right zone I could do whatever I wanted to with the ball.  I didn't like that.  Pulled home runs on low and away?  Just pick that zone and swing early.  Drive the ball to the opposite field on high and inside? Same thing.  It never felt like what was happening when I really batted.

I'm not going to convince you to like something you don't and vice versa.  You like what you like and me too.  Hopefully there is something good to load and fire.  I hope we both give it a good long chance.  If it isn't broken and it just takes rethinking the way we play and retraining our hands then it may be a great thing.  To me it sounds like MVP's hitting, but with more analog control.

SGN NCAA Football 06 Season Champion University of Kentucky Widcats 5-6 (2-0)
Back to Top View Ted's Profile Search for other posts by Ted Visit Ted's Homepage

Ted

Posted: January 16 2006 at 8:46pm | IP Logged Quote Ted

Well after reading that hands on thread at OS I'm not waiting for the rental.  Preordered, paid off, waiting for the mailman.  See you online, Jason.

SGN NCAA Football 06 Season Champion University of Kentucky Widcats 5-6 (2-0)
Back to Top View Ted's Profile Search for other posts by Ted Visit Ted's Homepage

Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: January 16 2006 at 9:03pm | IP Logged Quote Jason

Ted wrote:
 What I always found with zone was as long as I picked the right zone I could do whatever I wanted to with the ball.  I didn't like that.  Pulled home runs on low and away?  Just pick that zone and swing early.  Drive the ball to the opposite field on high and inside? Same thing.  It never felt like what was happening when I really batted.

Zone hitting is just for making contact with the ball, timing and player stats also play a big part in the outcome of the hit. I've always found that the zone hitting in Hight Heat mimmicked what would happen in real life.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that you pre-ordered it. I'll see you online.

Back to Top View Jason's Profile Search for other posts by Jason Visit Jason's Homepage

Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: January 17 2006 at 6:01am | IP Logged Quote Jason

I was pressed for time last night and didn't get a chance to finish my thought. True zone hitting handles hit just like MVP does on inside and outside pitches. It just addes up, down and diaganol into the equation. Just because you've picked the correct zone on an outside pitch doesn't mean that you're going to pull the ball deep - it just means that you'll probably get an opposite field hit.

Anyway, I like what I've read about 'Load & Fire' and am looking forward to trying it out.  I also found out that you don't have to use the 'Contact' and 'Power' buttons when swinging. If you don't use either, the hit becomes more dependant on the batter's stats for power and contact.

Back to Top View Jason's Profile Search for other posts by Jason Visit Jason's Homepage

Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: January 18 2006 at 12:26pm | IP Logged Quote Jason

It's been confirmed by some people that received their copies today that there are indeed three hitting systems: 'Load & Fire' (Analog), 'Classic' (MVP's Pure Swing system) and 'Zone' hitting.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version