Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
The Locker Room (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Sports Gaming Nation Archive : The Locker Room
Subject Topic: The "I’ve got MVP 06" Thread Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Ted

Online Status: Offline
Posted: January 19 2006 at 11:33am | IP Logged Quote Ted

Impressions if you have time.  Hope your dad is ok.

SGN NCAA Football 06 Season Champion University of Kentucky Widcats 5-6 (2-0)
Back to Top View Ted's Profile Search for other posts by Ted Visit Ted's Homepage

Webdanzer
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: January 19 2006 at 1:25pm | IP Logged Quote Webdanzer

Looking forward to impressions.
Back to Top View Webdanzer's Profile Search for other posts by Webdanzer Visit Webdanzer's Homepage

Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: January 19 2006 at 1:57pm | IP Logged Quote Jason

I got mine this afternoon. I broke down and forced myself to buy it at EBGames (I really hate that store) because Target and Toys 'R Us didn't have it. I'll definitely post some impressions when I get home.

Brent, hope everything is ok with your dad.

Back to Top View Jason's Profile Search for other posts by Jason Visit Jason's Homepage

Ted

Posted: January 19 2006 at 2:19pm | IP Logged Quote Ted

Have mine.  I'll try to get some impressions up.  1 game and so far so good.  I'm not seeing a big difference between 05 and this, but I really like 05.

Strike zone is huge though and I'm disappointed with that.  Is college strike zone bigger?

Back to Top View Ted's Profile Search for other posts by Ted Visit Ted's Homepage

Brent

Posted: January 19 2006 at 3:04pm | IP Logged Quote Brent

Ted wrote:
Have mine.  I'll try to get some impressions up.  1 game and so far so good.  I'm not seeing a big difference between 05 and this, but I really like 05.

Strike zone is huge though and I'm disappointed with that.  Is college strike zone bigger?

Dad is fine. Had prostate cancer surgery and is on his back for a couple weeks and I get to be at his beck and call. They caught it early and think they got everything so he is feeling good about that. Plus he has promised to stop smoking which I am thrilled about.

Edit: See image on next post for NCC Strike Zone.

Other then the added features it does seem alot like 05. For Xbox owners it is 720p so you have to look forward to. It looks a bit sharper (grass) but the dirt looked worse in 720p then 480i. My biggest graphical gripe with 05 is the shimmering of the grass when the camera moves and it is still there in full effect. Winning Eleven and MVP both do this and it annoys me but I get used to it after a few games. It is not as bad in 720p but still there. Players are definately thinner and seem more prone to errors.

If your team does not have a recreated stadium (of the 19) be prepared to make one, otherwise you are stuck with a selection of generic ones.

OU and Tech are both C+ teams and there is a pretty hefty difference between A/A+ teams and them. Will provide a challange from the get-go.

I switched back to the buttons on the fielding because the analog did not feel right to me. Also going to use Zone Hitting for now until I get practice witht eh analog swing. Just FYI you can also use Contact and Power triggers with Zone Hitting.

Back to Top View Brent's Profile Search for other posts by Brent

Brent

Posted: January 19 2006 at 3:16pm | IP Logged Quote Brent

Here is the college strike zone from the NCAA.org website on rules

Ted

Posted: January 19 2006 at 4:02pm | IP Logged Quote Ted

Well that's the strike zone in the game.  I take back my disappointment and replace it with.....dismay.  Not with EA.  With my inability to protect that space! lol

Anyway, I played 1.5 games, certainly not enough to give good impressions, but here is what I have so far.

I don't like the real ESPN and can't stand watching that station.  I never could get into the ESPN integration with 2k games.  However, this guy Mike Patrick is nice to listen to and I'm enjoying the play by play.  His color man is very silent, but chips in now and then.  So far so good.  I have not put it persistently online to get those radio updates yet so I don't know how they are.  Yes, the radio update is available on PS2 as well.

There is no option for progressive scan in the menus and the trick with X&triangle on the PS2 didn't work so I don't think it is progressive scan.  I also dont' see an option for widescreen.

I'm not being very patient at the plate so I can't give you an idea of walks, but the CPU doesn't seem to be throwing a lot of balls either.  I'd say it is 3 or 4-1 strike ratios.

I played a lot of mini game batting to get the hang of analog swing.  Once I got some timing and rhythym down it feels good when I make good contact.  The good contact is as much about timing as about rhythym on the stick I think (so far).  I cannot check swing.  I do what the controls say is the correct method, but I can't execute it.  I still need to check if you can pull back from a bunt quickly enough not to get called for a strike.  That was a big gripe mine with 05.  However, your batsman does a much better job of putting the bat on the ball during sac bunts than in 05.  05 would force you to move to make the contact, but it is automatic in 06.  I'm sticking with the new hitting.

I like the new analog throwing and threw a guy out at home with it.  It definitely rewards you for accuracy and timing on the stick and penalizes you as well for inaccuracy.  I haven't had any problems getting confused controls like diving and then throwing to the wrong base.  I turned the 1 double play that I was given a chance for.  A routine 6-4-3 near the bag.  What I liked was that I didn't have to wait for the analog meter to come up I hit up for the flip to second and immediately released it.  The meter never came up and the flip was right on target.  I'm going to stick with the new throwing too.

I've seen complaints about the crowd in 06, but so far it seems totally appropriate.  I use to go to CS Fullerton games when I was there and it seems more lively in the game than at some of those games.  So if anything the crowd would be more boring in real life.

They took away the ability to analyze swing with the select button and now you have to do it through the pause menu (a niggling annoyance). However, now you can analyze the opponents swing and you can analyze the swing of your batter who made the third out.  Those options weren't there in 05 and I welcome them.

You also can't click the left stick to see the pitch locations and past history of AB's.  But you can access it from the R2 management screens and if you end your search on the history screen it will be there the front and center when you pull it up again.

I hit 1 homerun so far.  It was with a lefty.   Routine pulled it down the right field line about 360 feet.  I was NOT holding the power trigger and hit it on timing and rhythym alone.  The batter was rated 63 on power so that's good news for those are worried about using the triggers.

Oh and back to pitching.  Still easy to throw strikes (varsity level).  Won't miss the strike zone if you don't want to.  However, each pitch has it's own range on the meter based upon the rating of that particular pitch.  Also, a lot of starters seem to have 5 pitches.  I don't know how accurate that is.

Personally, can't wait to get online.  So far it's a good solid game of baseball.  Everything MVP was in a different format.

If I think of more I'll post them.

Ted

Posted: January 19 2006 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote Ted

Deleted.  My post contained misinformation.

Brent

Posted: January 19 2006 at 4:20pm | IP Logged Quote Brent

Ted wrote:

I don't like the real ESPN and can't stand watching that station.  I never could get into the ESPN integration with 2k games.  However, this guy Mike Patrick is nice to listen to and I'm enjoying the play by play. 

I am guessing you do not watch alot of college sports? Mike Patrick is a legend in my book. The only guy at ESPN I enjoy listening to more is Ron Franklin. Mike flows well with anyone they put beside him and he has run the gauntlet from being teamed with Dick Vitale (who I normaly enjoy when he is not covering a Duke game) to doing womens college hoops. Plus anyone who can make listening to Joe Theisman tollerable all these years gets mucho extra credit in my book.

Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: January 19 2006 at 4:37pm | IP Logged Quote Jason

I was able to play a quick 5 innings and love the game so far. To be honest, if all this game added was zone-hitting I would've been happy but I tried out the new analog swing and throwing systems and enjoyed them both quite a bit. I had trouble completing double plays with the analog throwing, but that will come with practice.

I won't comment on the graphics since I played it on my old tv. I'll give it a shot on the widescreen HDTV tonight and see how it looks - I hope there is widescreen support.

I like the Hustle (R1) feature and found it to be quite necessary on several occasions. Overall, I'm more than pleased with my very brief time with the game so far.

Back to Top View Jason's Profile Search for other posts by Jason Visit Jason's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version