Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: NASCAR 09 Impressions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNASCAR 09 Impressions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
All-Star
All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NASCAR 09 Impressions
    Posted: 06-13-2008 at 7:43pm
Confusingly, Jeff Gordon's intro piece when I selected XBox Live told me I could race drivers from around the globe.  I don't recall seeing any of you in my Own The Track list, though.  I'm sure it won't work, but if one of you happens to see me online, I'd appreciate it if you could send me a game invite and see if our two games know each other this year.

Ted, I'm assuming from the way my copy is NASCAR 09 EU and yours is NASCAR 09 that there's region locking in place, and my 360 can only play PAL games.

The more I play this game, the more I find to love about it.  I thought I was imagining the shadows getting longer until I saw Grambo mention it, the sun in late afternoon going into the last turn at Watkins Glen or turn 4 at Daytona is dazzling, the cockpit view is wonderful and fairly easy to race with, and the driver challenges have started springing surprises on me (as an example, when you come to race Gordon at Talladega, there's a wreck avoidance section at the beginning.  They don't mention it until it happens, and you've got to go through absolutely flat-out otherwise you lose the draft and have no hope of winning).  It should be great online with a sensible bunch of players, because the controls allow for side-by-side running and the tracks have more than one workable groove.

One last thing - have you noticed how a car that qualifies up front doesn't necessarily stay there?  I don't remember that happening in past games, but it's another realistic touch.  I had David Gilliland start on pole at Daytona and work his way back outside the top 20 by the end, while David Reutimann (or the UPS car, at any rate - I was a bit busy going backwards through the field so it could have been Jarrett going past me) came through from 39th up to the fringes of the top 20 by the end.  There were other less dramatic examples of it all the way through the field, and I do like knowing that there'll be AI cars with a strong qualifying car who'll fall away in the race while others do the opposite; it feels much more like a proper race this way.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-13-2008 at 8:00pm
IGN has posted their not-so-good review of NASCAR 09 and it starts like this:

"To me, the sport of NASCAR is a bit like classic Russian literature. I respect it, but I don't really claim to understand it." Full Review

Hmmm...So let someone with little NASCAR knowledge review a NASCAR game for a major gaming site Rolling%20Eyes.

He gives the game a negative review based on some ridiculous complaints:
  • As with NASCAR 08, there are no team dynamics this time around. (Thanfully EA got rid of this crap on the new-gen consoles)
  • Pitting is also boring, as there are no mini-games or quick-time events to keep things interesting. (Who wants to play mini-games while racing?)
  • I raced most of my first career on normal mode with only yellow caution flags turned on. I easily won almost every race I entered. (Try a harder level and turn all the assists off)
The reviewers from these these big sites are just clueless when it comes to sports/racing sim games.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-13-2008 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by GB_Simo

I'm sure it won't work, but if one of you happens to see me online, I'd appreciate it if you could send me a game invite and see if our two games know each other this year.

Unfortunately, Adam and I couldn't race against each other online. I don't know why EA has to release different/incompatible versions for the UK.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-14-2008 at 9:43am
Team Xbox has just posted their review of NASCAR 09:

NASCAR 09 Review
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-14-2008 at 8:19pm
Atlanta is slowly becoming my favorite track so far. I love how it goes from dusk (complete with a setting sun) to night time during the race. The track is good size too - not too big and not too small.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-14-2008 at 9:40pm
Atlanta has long been one of my favorites in other games as well.  Cool!
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-17-2008 at 8:16pm
Watkins Glen is, was and always will be my favourite NASCAR track.  Yes, it has right turns, but I'm terribly European like that.  Oval-wise, I like Bristol, Richmond and California, or Auto Club or whatever they call it these days.

Have any of you looked into the car customisation options in the game?  I've just finished painting my first car through the EA Paint Booth (available at easportsworld.com for those who've not already looked).  I didn't have any painting programs on my PC besides Paint so I downloaded paint.net as recommended by EA.  Even though I've very little idea of what all the icons mean, I managed to knock together a Jagermeister car inspired by the famous orange-coloured Porsche sportscars and BMW touring cars of years gone by, and though it's nothing more than one colour fill with some pictures saved from websites and layered on top, it looks very nice in game.  On the same car, I suspect that I've made myself the only driver on the NASCAR circuit to carry sponsorship from Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-22-2008 at 10:11am
Kevin posted his first impressions over at MAG:

NASCAR 09 First Impressions

TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-22-2008 at 10:49am
Anyone else getting freezes?  I got a second one last night and now this morning the game freezes every time at my profile load screen after pressing start.  I wonder if I should go into the dashboard and delete my profile for N09.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-22-2008 at 10:57am
I've only gotten one freeze when I disconnected from Xbox Live the other night.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>