Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: MLB 2k10 Impressions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMLB 2k10 Impressions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 16>
Author
MVP
MVP

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MLB 2k10 Impressions
    Posted: 03-11-2010 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by K_Mosley

I hope some of the franchise issues are fixed.  I haven't experienced any, but Bill Abner (I know, some of you guys don't think much of him) has simulated ahead and found some somewhat serious issues.

I don't know if that is a fair statement.  I like Bill and I think he's a fair minded reviewer.  I only take exception to the notion that he is the "sports gaming guru", but only because there are so many different types of sports gamers that I can't believe any one critic's opinion should be universally accepted.  That's the reason I never accept his opinion on a sports game anymore because what he expects from a sports game is very different than what I expect.  His mountains are my mole hills.  Also, there are things I see him complain about that can easily be overcome by following self imposed house rules, which I know he and the others Bill (Harris) do when they like a title enough to want to play it despite its issues.  Yet, they'll seem to forget this when it may be a title they want to pick apart.

I still read the Nut and Feisty Weasel as well as Dubious Quality because they are well written and occasionally there is something there I'll take away and have some fun with that I wouldn't have tried otherwise.  Same thing with MAG.  I don't always see the same problems with some titles that you do, but I do still like to read them

If you are like minded with Bill and the other Bill and it helps you enjoy the hobby that's great.  I have like minds for different sports here.

As an example I feel like I see eye to eye with Derek's opinion on hockey, xbox live arcade, and racing, but not so much on baseball.  Jason and I see eye to eye on baseball, football, and basketball quite a bit, but not so much the racing.  So I think we all learn which people we can trust for a compatible review with our play style.

Now, as far as more impressions, generally I'm feeling that 2k9 was stronger in the franchise department and with the sliders I used a better game on the field taking into account hit variety and errors, but it's still very early.

2k10 beats it in the pitcher batter duel.  Hitting is more fun.  Pitching is more complex and less automatic.  And the added 'my player' mode is hard to put down. 

K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-11-2010 at 4:08pm
Hey Ted,

I wasn't speaking specifically about anybody, or criticizing anyone for their opinion.  I agree with everything you said. I share similar likes/dislikes as Bill A., but not 100%.  Just being clear...

I'm hoping and pretty sure I can find a way to "excuse" or "work around" the inevitable quirks.  All games have them.  I'll get my money's worth either way!  :-)

Kevin
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-11-2010 at 4:12pm
I know Kevin.  I just wasn't crazy about the term "don't think much of him."  I don't think much of Tiger Woods.  Bill, I have no problem with.  I was just worried that on the off chance Bill might ever wander into this place and see a comment like that unclarified that he would take it the wrong way.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-11-2010 at 4:13pm
My biggest complaint about Bill Abner is that he seems to forget that he's playing a VIDEO GAME. He can suck the fun out of any every game he touches. At some point you have to just enjoy and play the games and not continually "test" them.
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-11-2010 at 8:13pm
I love both the Bills.  Very few people go into the nuts and bolts of games as much as they do, and I'd rather all those nuggets of information be out there for consumption than go into purchases blind.  The stuff they write has helped me greatly over the years in my game-buying decisions.  Sure, there can be many issues that are deal-breakers to them that are not so much to me, and in those cases I just sort of go 'huh, no biggie' and read on to the next issue, which MAY be a big deal to me...and then they may have saved me $60.

I try not to get into judging how anyone gets enjoyment (or not) out of their games, but I do know that I generally want as much info from folks as I can get, and like Ted said, you learn the differences between you and who you are reading and adjust expectations accordingly.

Back on topic, I couldn't resist and picked 2k10 up today on my way home from work.  I am still fairly afraid to unwrap it, however... Wink
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-11-2010 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by Derek

Back on topic, I couldn't resist and picked 2k10 up today on my way home from work.  I am still fairly afraid to unwrap it, however... Wink

Go ahead and unwrap it...I think you may be pleasantly surprised.
K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-11-2010 at 9:30pm
What Derek said...  And, I agree, Ted, I could've chose better words.  That wasn't my intent.  Although, I do know Bill A. a little bit, and I don't think he'd get worked up about it.  That said, duly noted.

One cool thing I saw the other day is that I broke someone's bat with a high inside-corner fastball.  Also, after getting golds on the hitting drills, my virtual reliever struck out on 3 pitches on his only at bat of the season so far!  I'll blame it on his ratings, LOL...

Kevin
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-12-2010 at 12:16am
And if my post came across harsh it wasn't meant that way.  I think we all know how stuff gets lost in translation on the internet.

I found this kind of cool.  You can blog your franchise on 2k sports automatically.  Just select the game played in the calendar and choose the option to send it to their site.  It takes a minute to set up and link your identity, but after that it's a button press and seamless.  It updates the score and a few other things and allows you to customize a blog entry at their website.  I guess I don't need SGN any more Wink

Here's my first franchise...probably will start a new one, but wanted to experiment.  http://community.2ksports.com/community/user/blogs.cfm?blogid=965760
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-12-2010 at 9:16am
Originally posted by TedSGN

Here's my first franchise...probably will start a new one, but wanted to experiment.  http://community.2ksports.com/community/user/blogs.cfm?blogid=965760

That is VERY cool.
Slumberland View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-12-2010 at 9:37am
That is such a great feature!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 16>