Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : Online Gaming
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: SGN NHL 09 Club Locker Room
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSGN NHL 09 Club Locker Room

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>
Author
MVP
MVP

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SGN NHL 09 Club Locker Room
    Posted: 10-03-2008 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by JasonSGN

Originally posted by TedSGN

Sounds like it was an update for some game causing your grief then?

It worked for a little while after I cleared my cache last time too and I had immediately put all my games back in to re-download their updates last time.

I'm happy you'll be able to get some club time in.

If we end up getting all six of us in there I can play goalie.
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-03-2008 at 2:34pm
I've had the shipping labels to return my 360 for days now, but I am so addicted to Rock Band 2 I can't bring myself to return the Box, and it's RROD'ed on me three times now! 

I'll try to play some tonight.

Monday.  I'll send it in on monday.  Monday for sure; that's the ticket!
Grambo Bastille View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-03-2008 at 3:10pm
I just Rock Band 2 today Derek.  Really impressed with the new songlist, and happy at how easy the conversion of my RB1 songs and downloads happened (and I like that they show album covers now on the songlist!).  And now I find out that a George Thorogood song is available next week - don't get much better than that!

Oh, back to on topic.  I would love to play some tonight if I can tear myself away from RB2 or Tales of Vesparia.  Oh hell, I scored two goals the other night - that should be enough to draw me back.

If Jason plays, can I check him even if he is on my own team?  Just want to make him feel at home playing with me and pretend it is Nascar.Smile
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-03-2008 at 3:13pm
Gambo, make sure you put some scores up on some of the 'Battle of the Bands' challenges.  I love having friend scores to shoot for!

Sorry for the 'jack.  Hockey still sounds good!
Slumberland View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-03-2008 at 8:24pm
I am gonna watch a movie and then try and get on by 11pm eastern, if people are still up for it.  

I need to practice my stick work.  I embarrass myself in the open ice!
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-03-2008 at 8:28pm
I can play from 9:45pm to 11pm (I then have to watch Bill Maher since the vice-presidential debate will be a big topic on tonight's show) and then from midnight on.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-04-2008 at 4:03am
Kind of a frustrating night at the end there.  Seth I know it wasn't very fun playing that last team, but you can take solace in the fact that they are ranked 14th in the world right now.

Since you and Brent asked during the game and since it is hard to explain while we are trying to play I'll try to post some very basic ideas about what your positional responsibilities are as wingers and how we can do a better job of gaining the offensive zone.
Slumberland View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-04-2008 at 10:15am
That'd be good... I was having trouble absorbing some of that info on the fly.  One of my wing questions is that I'm not sure how far into the defensive zone to get... I see things happening near the net and want to get involved, but then if we get the puck back I'm not forward enough to get back into the offensive zone in a timely matter.

I just played some Mario Kart afterwards to settle down.  It worked.

That game-the-system deke shot thing is annoying as well.  I wonder if the devs think it is a problem or just how things should work.

Primarily, I guess I understand the need to reward players with skill upgrades and progression, but it seems sort of wrong for online, and a quick way to alienate more casual users.  I would rather there be a set number of points to distribute, and then it comes down to people playing the game well.  Going into a matchup against uber-players who also know the fake-the-goalie tricks... I mean hell, those guys would have beaten us probably 3-1 anyway without that nonsense, and it would have been much easier to feel good about.

I'll be at the Jersey Shore tonight in preparation for Chowder Fest tomorrow, so maybe I'll be back on tomorrow night.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-04-2008 at 12:31pm
Table updated in first post of this thread.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-04-2008 at 1:04pm
So far I'm not at all discouraged playing with you guys.  I feel like I can play with any one of you in a two man game and we have a great chance at winning the game except when we meet high division teams (top 4 divisions) because they ALL seem to use the so-called exploits.  We just need to start learning to skate with 3 or 4 humans on the ice now.  The primary determination of success in that will be playing sound positionally.

It's still an arcade game and to try and play it like real hockey would be a waste of time and I don't have the knowledge to teach that anyway.  But NHL is still programmed to play like a basic game of hockey and if you use your computer teammates you will have an advantage because they play good positionally and know what to do with the puck.  Most of the teams below division 7  don't use their teammates, especially their d-men so it is easy to gain an advantage by doing so.

If you are using any camera other than classic or overhead I seriously think you are not going to be able to see well enough to pass and play a team oriented game.  This is because you can't see what is developing behind you.  I encourage you high and low camera guys to just tough it out with classic or overhead for 10 or 20 games.  I hated classic in BAP at first and now I can't play any other way.

Usually when we have 3 humans we'll all go forwards.  The fourth or fifth guys in will have to play D obviously.

So just to start let's just establish the #1 rule in each zone that will help us by improving our offense.  Hockey is a transitional game and everything we do is designed to generate offense.  Our defense is fine unless we are playing top teams and there isn't much we can do to stop them right now.

The number one rule in the defensive zone is do not bunch up and play jungle puck.  If there are more than two players on the puck or the puck carrier you are bunched up.  There should only be two players on the puck or puck carrier if there is a scrum for the loose puck.  Otherwise 1-1 play is the preferred defense.  You can go to assist your teammate if he has slowed our disrupted the puck carrier and you then become second man in to try and take possession.  Otherwise you should be blocking passing lanes and shooting lanes and keeping a sharp eye out for a turnover so you quickly transition into your position to start the attack.  When the puck is loose and heading behind the goal line in our zone and there is more than one player chasing it you are bunching up.  Bunching up usually wins us the puck, but we don't have an outlet to start our transition and get out of our zone.  Hockey is a transitional game and we need to make sure we have outlets to move the puck quickly out of our zone and onto the attack.

The number one rule in the neutral zone is head man the puck.  This means the skater furthest up the ice should be taking the puck into the zone.  This is usually the weak side winger (strong side is puck side, other is weak side).  So when we get the puck back look for the weak side winger.  The computer knows to post up high on the boards and do that.  As a human player you should be doing the same.  If you are on the weak side play between the mid boards and our blue line.  When we get the puck head up ice and look for the pass.  If you get up ice and no pass has arrive do not stop and stand there.  Cut along the blue line or circle to keep your speed up.  Standing will only get you checked and we'll turnover the puck at a bad time in a bad place.

The number one rule in the offensive zone is spread out into open ice and keep moving.  The puck carrier needs an outlet to pass to.  We should not crash the net with more than one player before the shot.  We should not crowd the slot with more than one player.  We should not just stand in front of the net or in the slot, stationary, and hope the pass gets through two or three defenders.  Movement opens up ice.  Movement creates scoring chances.  Movement scores goals.  Again the camera you use will determine how effective you can be.  If we were a team that could use the so-called exploits then low cameras are great because you can watch the goalie and abuse him.  But we're a bunch of journeymen types and we need to move and use each other to open up the chances.

Those are the three #1 rules.  They'll help us if we use them.  I'll try to post more if you guys are interested.  The #1 rule overall is this is for fun.  I don't want to turn it into something too serious.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>