Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
The Locker Room (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Sports Gaming Nation Archive : The Locker Room
Subject Topic: The College Bowl Game Discussion Thread Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Brent

Online Status: Offline
Posted: December 06 2005 at 10:44am | IP Logged Quote Brent

K_Mosley wrote:

Looking forward to it, Brent...  And, I am enjoying this version of NCAA Football very much.  My only two gripes with the game are a lack of penalites, and dropped passes.  Neither is a huge problem, though.  And, occasionally I'll play one of those "no way that's possible" games.  However, for my dynasty, I allow myself a "house rule" to not count those "bullsh*t" games where Navy throws 6 passes of over 80 yards for TD's, or whatever.  I limit myself to 2 restarts per season, so I do use them wisely.  Trust me, it helps keep my blood pressure down.  I've nearly given up video gaming after a couple of those games!   Don't get me wrong, I normally take my losses like a man, but sometimes it gets ridiculous.  For the record, I'm in my third season with the Zips, and my overall record is 14-15.  I am turning the corner this year, though, and on my way to a contract extension at 5-1! 

So, in short, when playing out my Zips' bowl game, if you encounter one of those "bullsh*t" games, hit the restart, man!

Kevin

I don't see a lack of penalties as much as I see the same penalties called over and over and over. Those would be "clipping" and the worst offender the "facemask" which is called in pretty much every game I have played on multiple occasions.

As for the passing I think what has helped me most is making more "user catches." That plus a few slider tweaks on QB & Rec Catching %. Same goes for the CPU who got their % bumped up the exact same.

I play my Dunasty with Navy and we only throw the ball a max of 10-15 times a game so it's definately not from alot of practice tossing the pigskin.
Back to Top View Brent's Profile Search for other posts by Brent

Ted

Posted: December 06 2005 at 12:16pm | IP Logged Quote Ted

Nice recap, Brent.  Those numbers look great too.

Kevin, I can't speak for the xbox version, but both Jason and I don't have the dropped pass problem on the PS2.  We sure see them, but not in any outrageous numbers.

This isn't a dig in any way, but I'm wondering what your passing attack is like?  Both Jason and I have been successful, but in different ways.  I tend to throw over the middle in man-man and to the corners on zone coverage plays.  I also use play action more than Jason.   Jason, however, is a much better passer than I am.  He makes use of user catches and seems to be able to find that open man no matter what the coverage.  The only chance I have of winning games against him is to blitz and sack since he seems to hang onto the ball a lot longer than I do.

If you are doing the same things over and over and not getting desired results maybe it is a time for change.  The one thing that I notice and really like about NCAA is it lets you exploit defenses where they are weak.  Don't be afraid to run the same pattern alot and don't feel you need to run a lot of different plays just to mix it up.  I used to think I had to run almost every play in the book to keep it realistic, but hell, if Jason is having trouble stopping my TE over the middle for 7 yards it is up to him to stop it.  And he'll say the same thing about me needing to stop his sideline flag route to WR #1

Just some thoughts.  And sorry for the threadjack, BD.

Ted

SGN NCAA Football 06 Season Champion University of Kentucky Widcats 5-6 (2-0)
Back to Top View Ted's Profile Search for other posts by Ted Visit Ted's Homepage

Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: December 06 2005 at 5:20pm | IP Logged Quote Jason

Ted wrote:

I used to think I had to run almost every play in the book to keep it realistic, but hell, if Jason is having trouble stopping my TE over the middle for 7 yards it is up to him to stop it.  And he'll say the same thing about me needing to stop his sideline flag route to WR #1

That's why I love this game so much and why I enjoy our online games. Neither one of us plays cheesy, but we'll force each other to stop a play that is working on offense. What's even better is that we'll usually come up with a defensive scheme to stop it or at least control it. The strategy involved in this game is almost unmatched when playing against the right player.

Back to Top View Jason's Profile Search for other posts by Jason Visit Jason's Homepage

K_Mosley

Posted: December 06 2005 at 7:45pm | IP Logged Quote K_Mosley

No offense taken, Ted...  It's part my team, part my skill, and part the game, at least I think.  I tracked my drops my first two seasons.  In 2005, I had 36.  In 2006, I had 47.  Despite my limited abilities, there is something amiss there.

I do use the "user catch," but maybe not often enough.  I also need to lead my receivers more often, as that seems to keep the passes from getting knocked down as much.  Part of it is also me making a poor read.

I am trying some new routes.  Honestly, I have more success when I shift slightly out of the pocket - not scrambling, but just taking a step or two.  My receivers tend to catch more when I do that, for some reason.

Oh well, I still really enjoy the game as a complete package, and the running game is awesome this year!

Kevin

Brent

Posted: December 15 2005 at 12:21pm | IP Logged Quote Brent

I wanted to run a game to play out the Div 1-AA Championship game but alas no No. Iowa in the game and I did not feel like creating them just for on simulation.

GMAC

UTEP (8-3) vs. Toledo (8-3)

NCAA 2006

First half

The game was played in a downpour and the 1st quarter ended up at a 0-0 tie with both teams looking sluggish. Toledo jumped on scoreboard early with a a TD pass. UTEP got back on track and rolled to 24 unanswer points, thanks in part to (four) second quarter picks, one of which was returned for a TD.

Second Half.

Another half and more picks ahead for the UTEP defense who returned yet another pick for a TD. UTEP tried to feel pity for the MAC school in the second half by spending much of the time running the ball but Toledo struggled in all areas this day. They never strayed away from the passing game and their only runs were on draw plays, which usually ended up in a big loss thanks to the surging UTEP D-Line.

----------------------------------------
Final Score:
UTEP 52 Toledo 7
----------------------------------------

TOP: UTEP 19:08   Toledo 8:52
Total Offense: UTEP 480  Toledo 356
Total rushing UTEP 44-193  Toledo 10 (-21)
Total Passing: UTEP 21-38 229, 4 TD  Toledo 12-39 175, 1 TD 7 INT
First Downs: UTEP 25  Toledo 6
Sacks: UTEP 3  Toledo 4

Brent

Posted: December 16 2005 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote Brent

Pioneer PureVision Las Vegas
BYU (6-5) vs. California (7-4)

NCAA 06

First Half

Midway through the first qtr I lost my starting QB to injury. This forced Cal to run the ball more then planned, fortunately BYU's defense was more then accomidating. BYU followed in Toledos footsteps by passing for all but 3 players (the other 6 rushes noted are sacks). I was able to hold off the long ball but they were able to connect on numerous 10-15 yards shots down the field. It was a closely contested first half until with cal scoring late to take the lead 24-14.

Second Half

The game gets out of hand thanks to two picks inside the redzone. Cal had a record long 98 yard INT for a TD and was 10 yards away from pulling off that same feat from 100+ as the game came to a close.

---------------------------------------------
Final Score:
California 45 BYU 24
---------------------------------------------

TOP:  Cal 16:22  BYU 11:38
Total Offense:  Cal 488  BYU 420
Total Rushing:  Cal  31-268  BYU 9-(-34)
Total Passing:  Cal 22-42-220, 3 TD 2 INT   BYU 25-49-454, 3 INT
First Downs: Cal 23 BYU 14
Sacks:  Cal 6  BYU 4

____________________________________________________________ _______

San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl
Colorado State (6-5) vs. Navy (7-4)

NCAA 06

First Half

Run option left, run option right, hand off to fullback. Victory will be mine. halftime score of 21-7 for the Naval Academey.

Second Half

Run option left, run option right, hand off to fullback. Victory is mine. I was thrilled to finally play a team that ran the ball. Unfortuantely I know Navy's team like the back of my hand and this game was never in doubt.

----------------------------------------------
Final Score:
Navy 28  Colorado St 7

TOP: Navy 16:26  CSU 11:34
Total Offense:  Navy 428  CSU 237
Total Rushing:  Navy 64-428  CSU 26-110
Total Passing:  Navy 0-0-0  CSU 13-25-127, 1 INT
First Downs:  Navy 23  CSU 13
Sacks: Navy 3  CSU 0

Brent

Posted: December 17 2005 at 10:51am | IP Logged Quote Brent

Both games played tonight were classics. I am leaving the score at the bottom to lead you read how things went first.

Fort Worth

Kansas (6-5) vs. Houston (6-5)

NCAA 2006

1st Half

Spent most of the game down by 2 scores or more (0-14 UH at the end of one, 14-28 UH at the Half). They came out slinging and my weak secondary could do nothing to stop their top receiver who ended up with over 300 yards. Normally I can hold the opponent to one or two deep catches but not this game.

2nd Half

Things started looking bleak as UH took a commanding lead late in the 3rd qtr  (28-44).  I was able to move the ball at will in the second half but unable to stop  UH. Fortunately two fumbles on long drives helped me create a masterful comeback. With the game tied and 2 minutes left I pulled off an INT and with no time remaining made one of my greatest comebacks in NCAA 06 with a 30 yard FG.

----------------------------------------------------
Final Score:
Kansas 52  Houston 49
----------------------------------------------------

TOP:  KU 18:20  UH 9:40
Total Offense:  KU 576   UH 567
Total Rushing:  KU 51-262   UH 13-74
Total Passing: KU 19-41-314, 1 TD 2 INT    UH 22-41-493, 4 TD 5 INT
First Downs: KU 26  UH 16
Turnovers: KU 2  UH 7
Sacks:  KU 0  UH 3

___________________________________________________________ _

Sheraton Hawaii
Nevada (8-3) vs. UCF (8-4)

NCAA 06

1st Half

Pretty much an offensive show for both teams. Nevada is a pass heavy team so I tried to concentrate more on the pass. With only one turnover the whole game it looked pretty straightforward how this one would play out. UCF pulled out more big plays in the first half to take a 24-21 lead.

2nd Half

Once again we had plenty of back and forth scoring. Under 2 minutes and with Nevada down by four points is where it got interesting. With the ball on it's own 10 yard line I elected to go for it on 4th down due to time constraints. The QB ends up getting sacked on the 3 yard line. The only hope was a goaline stand and the Packs defense held their end limiting UCF to a FG. Unfortuantely they had to burn their remaining TO's leaving the offense 45 seconds, no TO's and 80 yards to cover. 4 deep balls later and getting out of bounds each time to stop the clock we had a tie ball game and went to OT.

OT 1

Both teams scored fairly easily with touchdowns. UCF played defense first.

OT 2

UCF sputters and we hold them to a FG. After getting one first down we are left to kick a 38 yard field goal. 

Bob Uecker takes the call for this all importaint FG.

"Just a bit outside"

-------------------------------------------
Final Score: Nevada 55  UCF 58 2 OT
-------------------------------

TOP:  Nev 17:42  UCF 10:18
Total Offense:  Nev 734  UCF 618
Total Rushing:  Nev 34-221  UCF 25-240
Total Passing:  Nev 32-59-513, 4 TD  UCF 17-27-378,  2 TD
First Downs: Nev 34  UCF  17
Turnovers: Nev 1  UCF 0
Sacks: Nev 4  UCF 4

Brent

Posted: December 17 2005 at 11:11am | IP Logged Quote Brent

Some screens

Brent

Posted: December 19 2005 at 9:22am | IP Logged Quote Brent

Motor City
Memphis (6-5) vs. Akron (7-5)

NCAA 06

First Half:

I am not used to the 3-3-5 defense but since it was the default defense I played it the full game, only changing to Nickel in the rare 3rd down and passing situations. Honestly I doubt it would not have mattered what Defense Akron used in this game as Memphis could do no wrong. They ran and passed their way to a 28-24 lead. It could have been much worse but DeAngelo fumbled inside the redzone. Akron was also able to get a late FG by comepleting a lucky deep ball that was tipped TWICE before getting snagged by an Akron WR.

Second Half:.

This would be classified as one of my most embarrasing moments playing NCAA 06. I will have nightmares of DeAngelo Williams, the Memphis QB and receivers for nights to come. Throw in losing my starting RB early in the 3rd qtr and I was doomed. Most of my second half yards came late in the game against the second string Memphis defense.

Final Score: Memphis 70  Akron 47

TOP:  Mem 17:18  Akr 10:42
Total Offense:  Mem 629  Akr  445
Total Rushing:   Mem 46-219   Akr  27-126
Total Passing:  Mem 19-25-420, 5 TD  Akr 12-31-319, 3 TD 2 INT
First Downs: Mem 28  Akr 15
Turnovers: Mem 2 Akr 2
Sacks: Mem 1 Akr 1

Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: December 19 2005 at 9:31am | IP Logged Quote Jason

It's nice to see someone else having fun with this great game.

Back to Top View Jason's Profile Search for other posts by Jason Visit Jason's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version